Re: Correct address for Update of PF exhibit on 26-09-06

  • PhotoRoy6@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2 9:22 AM
      The correct address for this week gallery is
      http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html                              (no o)

      Gallery has been taken over this week by goats, camels and horses!
    • Andrew Davidhazy
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2 9:47 AM
        Darn it! the usually competent staff here double and triple proofread that
        address since it changed back to its old self from last week - o woe is us!!

        As stated the correct address is: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

        Amalia and friends

        PhotoRoy6@... wrote:

        > The correct address for this week gallery is
        > _http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html_
        > (http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html) (no o)
        >
        > Gallery has been taken over this week by goats, camels and horses!

      • Howard
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2 1:44 PM
          Whoops - sorry. The crypt photo was taken by me, aged 66 years 6 months,
          and not Daniel aged 2 years 3months...
          Sorry everybody!

          Howard
        • Charles Dias
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2 2:06 PM
            Howard Leigh - Nice shot, lovely the composition of the stone arcs. I like the light and the orange cast. I think a little adjust in the brightness/contrast would be nice along some more sharpening.

            Herschel Mair - This is a snapshop for me. Composion is weak. Imho don't think this photo worked..

            Trevor Cunningham - Hummm, too much DOF, the background is competing with the man in the foreground.The other man standing in the far background (left side) is very distractive.

            Qkano - Nice shot of the boy with his simple toy (I used to play with something like that when I were a kid) but it's obvious he's posing to someone else by the direction of his eyes ... or are looking to someone else ... and I miss his facing the camera. The twin trees on the background is something distractive, another angle of view would eliminate it from the frame.

            Bob Sull - Nice plain shot of the rocky mountain scape but I think it would be much better in BW with a punch in the constrast, something looking like ansel Adams mountains photos.

            Guy Glorieux - Nice fin-de-siècle carousel detail. I like very much the composition but I miss a little more contrast and color saturation. Good, very good shot.
          • Howard
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3 2:19 AM
              Charles Dias wrote:
              > Howard Leigh - Nice shot, lovely the composition of the stone arcs. I
              > like the light and the orange cast. I think a little adjust in the
              > brightness/contrast would be nice along some more sharpening.

              Thank you Charles. The only reason I didn't sharpen further was to avoid
              extra noise. Although taken in RAW, the ISO was 800 and the noise close
              to becoming overly visible...

              Howard
            • Charles Dias
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11 4:11 PM
                Mário Pires - Great show photo, my friend. You mixed that fantastic stage light with a very intimate moment betwen the musicians. I suggest just a little crop on the right side of the image to eliminate the excess of empty dark space there.

                Guy Glorieux - I don't like very much extreme digital effects so I converted you image to positive again and I like the composition, the mood.

                Renate Volz - Nice macro of the flower center structures but the shadows called mostly of my attention and I think this image would be great in BW, give it a try.

                Qkano - Interesting abstract this one. It's very interesting the way this image catchs the viewers eyes and make them wonder about what they are seeing. Good one.

                Emily L. Ferguson - I like too much marine photos like that one. I think it's because I live very far from the ocean. Nice shot of the boat sails. The little piece of tilted horizon in the right side of the image distracts me a little. Did you take this shot from onboard of another boat ???

                Steve Shapiro - This shot remembers me years ago when I went to a car show with my very first SLR, a Zenit 122, with just two rolls of ISO 400 filme and that was a very sunny day ... I had to wait a lot until some clouds passed over the sun and I could shot in the shadow of it over the park full of great classic cars ... lol. I thinks this image is more a snapshot, I don't like the cuts on the sides of the image and the full sharp background.

                Laurenz Bobke - Interesting shot but the little DOF created some unpleasand blurred areas on the foreground and background. Maybe another angle would be better, an up to down angle I think.

                Jeff Spirer - Great shot. I think this is the better image of this issue of this gallery. I love that dark mood. It's really like a shot taken from inside a whale skull ... great one.

                Morley Roberts - Interesting scene but I don't like the image itself. I can't find an anchor point for reading the image ... it's all there just too mixed, too compressed in the same plan.

              • Guy Glorieux
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 12 7:23 AM
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 12 11:51 AM
                    Mário Pires - In live shows you have to be alert and change you position alot, framing and focusing are a problem, but sometimes you can get some nice ones.

                    Guy Glorieux - First it seemed a litle confused to me, them on a second look the bridges look like crescent moons. The first plane (the water) contrasts a litlle with the patterns of he foliage and the bridges. If you framed just the upper part, keeping an eye for the foliage patterns perhaps you could have e stronger photo.

                    Renate Volz - A problem with macros is the small DOP that produces out of focus effects that introduce elements of visual disruption in a picture. Going in closer and exagerating some elements DOP can sometimes solve that "problem".

                    Qkano - looks like a small cake (with chocolate topping)

                    Emily L. Ferguson - I assume you were on a boat along side that one Emily. The sails make an interesting flow patern, but the sails beside the main one in the pictur steal our attention. I would have tried to concentrate on some details. In crowded scenes as this one it's easy to get unwanted elements in a photo.

                    Steve Shapiro - we cannot see clearly what the judges are doing, the foregroung grass is stealing some attention, and my eyes "flee" to the background (the other people, the boots) much more that they should. My advice would be to get closer to the judges, and perhaps from a dfferent angle.

                    Laurenz Bobke - Perhaps a litle bit too centered.

                    Jeff Spirer - nice silhouette, but i dont think industrial when i see it, i think of low rent houses and bleek streets.

                    Morley Roberts - A maritime still life, it is a nice framing, but with a diferent light (end of the day perhaps) it colud be much nicer.

                    Mário Pires

                    http://www.retorta.net
                    http://www.esteticafotografica.net
                  • R V
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 12 2:42 PM
                      Thanks a lot, Mario, for the critique and sage advice to everybody.
                      Your image is sublime and flawless - a nice one as you so aptly  put it.  Obviously the only one which doesn't deserve a harsh critique.
                      Thanks for taking the time.  I very much enjoyed reading your post.

                      Renate

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 12 2:50 PM
                        Thanks, Charles, for your kind words.  Like you I liked the petals better than the focal point in the center... it reminded me of ski slopes on a sunny day in March.  And, yes, I did one of this series in B&W. Like you I was sure it would be a nice one, but I wasn't convinced when I saw the result.
                        Sorry, all for not having commented yet, but I will do so as soon as  possible.
                        Renate

                        On 9/11/06, Charles Dias <deepblue972000@...> wrote:
[...]

                      • mario_f_pires
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 12 3:02 PM
                          Thanks a lot, Mario, for the critique and sage advice to everybody.
                          Your image is sublime and flawless - a nice one as you so aptly put it. Obviously the only one which doesn't deserve a harsh critique.
                          Thanks for taking the time. I very much enjoyed reading your post.

                          Renate

                          You are very kind Renate

                          All pictures got flaws and mine are no exception :)

                          Mário Pires

                          http://www.retorta.net
                          http://www.esteticafotografica.net
                        • Eugene Kowaluk
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 12 7:34 PM
                            Glorieux detailed this image's intent to be reminiscent of a waxed paper negative, many of which I've seen at a local photography museum. This was a good interpretation even without texture and structure associated with an original paper negative which can stand on their own. The digital effects were necessary to bring this out; no need to change the original.

                            eugene kowaluk