RE: Phone Home

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 3:17 AM
      El Cheapo means no good o, throw it away and buy a proper one.

      Chris

      Message 2 of 15 , May 1 3:33 AM
        Check this out....
        http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/July-August-2003/feature_koerner_julaug03.msp

        On 4/30/06, Jeff Spirer <jeff@...> wrote:
        At 08:27 PM 4/30/2006, R V wrote:
        >Since 911 can pinpoint the location of a cell phone even when not in
        >use, I guess the phone uses up power even when no call is made.

        Oddly, this is something I know something about.  911 cannot pinpoint
        the location of a cell phone when not in use, 911 cannot even
        pinpoint the location of a cell phone when in use.  911 can usually
        retrieve the location of the nearest access point, which is not the
        least bit likely to give a "pinpoint" location for the user.

        There are regulations in place that will make it possible to locate a
        phone when a call is generated, but the hardware isn't in the phones
        yet.  The network is built out (a photographer friend is the one who
        has built the network that will be used by most locations sytems),
        but that is meaningless without the hardware in the phones.

        The reason the phone uses power when it's not in use is that it has
        to make itself available to incoming calls.  Also, it runs in a
        "standby" mode rather than off, so that you can quickly make a call
        or access other phone functions when needed, instead of waiting for
        what is becoming an increasingly lengthy boot-up process.

        Jeff Spirer
        Photos: http://www.spirer.com
        One People: http://www.onepeople.com/

        --
        Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad.
          - Norm Papernick

      • rebphoto
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 3:48 AM
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1 4:06 AM
            On Mon, 01 May 2006 06:48:21 -0400, rebphoto <rebphoto@...>
            wrote/replied to:

            >> El Cheapo means no good o, throw it away and buy a proper one.
            >>
            >> Chris
            >

            >As usual somebody has to throw in an opinion
            >that has nothing to do with the original question.......
            >
            >Also if you look at the many replies I got,
            >the phone is showing characteristics common
            >to ALL cell phones.

            I'd take mine back if it lost charge over a few days. It goes for weeks without
            charging, and that's with a bit of use too I might add. Not normal.

            --
            Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
            http://easternbeaver.com/ Motorcycle Relay Kits,
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1 10:56 AM
              not really. My Nokias can stay 1-2 weeks on standby on one charge.

              Laurenz

              > El Cheapo means no good o, throw it away and buy a proper one.
              >
              > Chris

              As usual somebody has to throw in an opinion
              that has nothing to do with the original question.......

              Also if you look at the many replies I got,
              the phone is showing characteristics common
              to ALL cell phones.........

              Russ
              R.E. Baker
              Photography
              rebphoto@...

              Feed a Cat...
              Starve a Fever........

            • Bob
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1 3:51 PM
                rebphoto wrote:

                > Hi Gang.............
                >
                > Here is a slightly off topic question............
                >
                > I just bought a cheapo Motorola cell phone.
                >
                > Basically to have for road side emergencies and such.
                > Even with out making or taking any calls
                > the battery lasts about 2-3 days before I have to recharge it.
                >
                > Is this normal?
                >
                > No other rechargeable device I have ever
                > owned lost power with out use that fast.

                The battery might be a little short lived, but........

                You said cheapo,,,,,, might not be one of the higher capacity batteries

                You have to understand that the cell phone is a specialized two way
                radio. When you are not making calls and the cell phone is on, the
                receiver portion is on and listening for someone to call it. Again, you
                said cheapo, they might not have battery saving technology like the more
                expensive phones do.

                Just a couple thoughts......

                Bob

                --

                /////
                ( O O )
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2 2:53 AM
                  I had a cheap Motorola phone
                  Its big drawback was short battery time.
                  I complained several times and than was advised to take a Nokia instead.
                  ( Maybe the not cheap Motorola are OK )

                  Pini

                  ????? rebphoto:
                  > Hi Gang.............
                  >
                  > Here is a slightly off topic question............
                  >
                  > I just bought a cheapo Motorola cell phone.
                  >
                  > Basically to have for road side emergencies and such.
                  > Even with out making or taking any calls
                  > the battery lasts about 2-3 days before I have to recharge it.
                  >
                  > Is this normal?
                  >
                  > No other rechargeable device I have ever
                  > owned lost power with out use that fast.
                  >
                  > ??????????????????????????????
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Russ
                  > R.E. Baker
                  > Photography
                  > rebphoto@...
                  >
                  > Feed a Cat...
                  > Starve a Fever........

                • David Dyer-Bennet
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 9 12:14 PM
                    rebphoto <rebphoto@...> writes:

                    > Hi Gang.............
                    >
                    > Here is a slightly off topic question............
                    >
                    > I just bought a cheapo Motorola cell phone.
                    >
                    > Basically to have for road side emergencies and such. Even with out
                    > making or taking any calls
                    > the battery lasts about 2-3 days before I have to recharge it.
                    >
                    > Is this normal?

                    Not in my experience; that's considerably *longer* than normal.

                    > No other rechargeable device I have ever
                    > owned lost power with out use that fast.

                    I have completely different experiences. Portable computers and
                    rechargeable PDAs and digital cameras and electronic flash units all
                    run down much faster than that.
                    --
                    David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@...>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
                    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>