Re: Bulk Photoshop

  • Don Roberts
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1, 2006
      wildimages@... wrote:
      >> Please bear in mind that, especially in the graphics field, a lot of
      >> people still use the Macs. If you have a question, or a an answer, tr
      > to be a little more OS specific.
      >

      > Don
      >
      > Good sentiments but I think that the onus should be on the asker of the question
      > (to be specific about platform, OS, version etc) rather than every poor soul
      > who tries to answer. There are more people in the world using Linux (in all
      > its flavours) than Apple but do we give a damn? Same for browsers, or for
      > people with stupid flash etc presentations that require you to install something
      > etc ...
      >
      > I can't worry about whether any answer is approriate to every potential user:
      > hopefully it might get through sometimes that freeware can be excellent.
      > You don't have to pay top money to get good results ...

      Bob, the first part of my message said "if you have a question" because I agree with you. If the first message gives relevant details then the rest of my post is superfluous, the answers should be germane. However, it doesn't hurt if one is recommending software cold to mention if it is platform specific. Just trying to minimize unnecessary repeated short back and forth Q and A. Quite a few times I have seen the suggestion "use irfanview" for an answer to a question that may not have been asked by a Windows user. I don't expect anyone to worry whether their answer is for everyone but we can be more to the point, don't you think? And if promoting freeware is important to you that is a separate issue. And, BTW, I agree with you there also and use freeware quite a bit myself.
      Don

      --
      The art of living lies in a fine mingling of holding on and letting go.-- Havelock Ellis
    • Steve Hodges
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 4, 2006
        Peeter Vissak wrote:
        > BTW - I just tried Ubuntu, but it seems I'm surrounded with a dark aura -
        >
        > Perhaps the real version would have worked better

        I've only tried the real version. I heard from someone else that Ubuntu
        (live) had played up for them too. The version I last installed was
        Hoary Hedgehog (Breezy Badger may be the version you tried -- it's newer)

        > (128 MB together with integratred stuff, that makes it eventually
        > 120 + something).

        That's not a lot is it. I have a number of linux machines running with
        as little as 16 Mb of RAM, but they're obviously not running a GUI!

        > But the good news is that the Fujitsu-Siemens company sent me a SMS that they
        > have fixed my laptop!!!

        Good! :-)

        >> If you regularly need to write into directories outside your home
        >> directory (why?)
        >>
        > E.g. adding programs or updating them. Apt-get and similar

        That's exactly what sudo is for. "sudo aptitude install
        frog-strangler". (Aptitude is kinda the newer version of apt).

        >> If you've been installing various linux versions, give Ubuntu a try. I
        >> can't promise it will work well on your hardware, but if you have the
        >> time, it's a good distro (as is knoppix)
        >>

        > I will, for sure!
        > I like to spend some time playing with different linux distros. Just perhaps
        > hoping to find "my version".

        The eternal search :-) I settled on Debian quite some time ago because
        I value stability over pretty much all else. Having said that, I use
        other distros where appropriate. Pebble, Ubuntu, and IPCop are the ones
        I use most frequently.

        Ubuntu would be my first choice for a desktop version. Anything Red Hat
        is also pretty safe, but my personal preference is to stay with debian
        based distros due to my experience with them.

        Steve