Re: What Camera? 1901 Russia?

  • Marilyn
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2005
      It's abslutely incredibla what information one can find on the internet!

      www.surrey.ac.uk/lcts/lvmg/Photcat1.doc

      THE WORD AS IMAGE: THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN RUSSIAN LITERATURE AND ...

      Marilyn
      Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you will help them
      become what they are capable of becoming.

      Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

      > Anyone know what sort of camera people would have used for *Snapshots*
      > in 1901 Russia?
      > I'm guessing it would be a Kodak Brownie.
      >
      > What would have been the best film speed back then?
      > Would it have worked for hand-held indoor portraits?
      >
      > It's for a Chekhov play ....
      >
      > Bob

    • Marilyn
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 2005
        Ooops. (is my face red)

        It is absolutely incredible - not abslutely incredibla.

      • lookaround360@panoramacamera.us
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2005
          Marilyn,

          Fascinating! But still don't know what camera :-) Now I'm curious!
          I got a word doc file of about a page and a half - would like the URL
          source - couldn't get to the home page for some reason.

          Thanks,

          AZ

          Build a Lookaround!
          The Lookaround Book, 4Th ed.
          Now an E-book.
          http://www.panoramacamera.us

        • Marilyn
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 18, 2005
            Here is the information that comes up when I Google "russian cameras 1901
            and novels."

            If I can help more, please just let me know.

            Marilyn

            DOC] THE WORD AS IMAGE: THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN RUSSIAN LITERATURE AND ...
            File Format: Microsoft Word 97 - View as HTML
            THE WORD AS IMAGE: THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN RUSSIAN LITERATURE AND THE
            CAMERA MEDIA. SECTION 1 - EARLY PHOTOGRAPHIC REFERENCES IN RUSSIAN
            LITERATURE ...
            www.surrey.ac.uk/lcts/lvmg/Photcat1.doc - Similar pages
          • Bob Talbot
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2005
              > Fascinating! But still don't know what camera :-) Now I'm curious!
              > I got a word doc file of about a page and a half - would like the
              URL
              > source - couldn't get to the home page for some reason.

              Alan

              That was my reaction too.

              Actually the play was set I read in 1897 (so 4-y before the Brownie?).
              Fedotik is indeed the character in "The Three Sisters" using the
              camera.
              In the play he is taking snapshots indoors (by the rate of them
              presumably hand held). I was just surprised by this assuming that
              film speeds and apertures would not have been up to it then.

              For the audience I guess any sort od box camera would do ... but heck,
              it's nice to try and get things right.

              Bob
            • Bob Talbot
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 2005
                > Fascinating! But still don't know what camera :-) Now I'm curious!
                Sorry, FYI here's the relavent part of the play:
                http://io.uwinnipeg.ca/~morton/modern_drama/three-sisters.htm

                This scene-excerpt from Act 1 takes place indoors:
                FEDOTIK. Wait a minute [takes a snapshot]. One! Wait another minute. .
                . [takes another snapshot]. Two! Now it's ready. [They take the basket
                and walk into the dining-room, where they are greeted noisily.]

                RODE [loudly]. My congratulations! I wish you everything, everything!
                The weather is delightful, perfectly magnificent. I've been out all
                the morning for a walk with the high-school boys. I teach them
                gymnastics.

                FEDOTIK. You may move, Irina Sergeyevna, you may move [taking a
                photograph]. You look charming today

                It does not have the feel of tripod OR flash.

                Would it have worked?
              • Marilyn
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 19, 2005
                  There are DVDs and VHS tapes of the Three Sisters for sale on Amazon.com,
                  but they aren't inexpensive. It would be interesting to see what camera
                  was used in the movies, though.

                  Marilyn
                • lookaround360@panoramacamera.us
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 20, 2005
                    Bob,

                    I have a 4 x 5 glass plate box camera that could be of the time period.
                    It holds five glass plates that flop forward after exposure to position
                    the next plate. It works fast and is very simple to use. The leather
                    strap is gone and there is no name anywhere on the camera. I can send
                    you a snap of it. Maybe someone will know the maker.

                    AZ

                    Build a Lookaround!
                    The Lookaround Book, 4th ed.
                    Now an E-book.