Re: Rights and the law

  • Bob Talbot
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
      > There was a movement where art
      > galleries in NYC displayed actual tomb stones that had been taken
      from different
      > grave yards in the US and Canada but then some law enforcement
      person went on
      > a vendetta and stopped the practice

      Heck, photographers shouldn't become grave-robbers.

      Presumably someone holds copyright to the words written on
      gravestones?
      Either the stonemason or the family member who commissioned it I
      guess.

      Presumably, apart from very old generic messages (such as "Rest In
      Peace") someone should be earning royalties.

      Is it any defence to claim that a photograph of a copyrighted piece of
      text is any different from a textual copy of it? Is it? That is, if
      I use someone's poem on my home page without permission I'm surely
      breaching their copyright but am I still if I portray a photography of
      an object in a public place bearing a transcript of the same.

      The world can become a very silly place if you look at it in a silly
      way ;o)
    • balobo@juno.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
        Doesn't this go back to Edward Weston's time? If I take a picture of the
        toilet, who owns the copyright? Edward or the guy that made the toilet?

        Bruce Wolff
      • James B. Davis
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
          On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 09:32:18 -0500, balobo@... wrote/replied to:

          >Doesn't this go back to Edward Weston's time? If I take a picture of the
          >toilet, who owns the copyright? Edward or the guy that made the toilet?

          And that Great Egret I shot, is that copyrighted by GOD?

          The whole copyright idea for photos stinks if you ask me.

          I'm serious, point a camera take a picture, what's the big deal?

          --
          Jim Davis, Nature Photography:
          http://jimdavis.oberro.com/
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
            Under U.S. copyright law you can't copyright the title of a book. You
            can't copyright a name. But, whose copyright violation would it be if
            a stonemason carved a copyrighted bit on a headstone and a photographer
            made a picture of it? Or, would it be fair use if only a short passage?

            What would you like on your tombstone? ©?

            Cheers,
            Rich Mason

            http://richmason.com

            On Saturday, January 1, 2005, at 04:49 AM, Bob Talbot wrote:

            > Presumably someone holds copyright to the words written on
            > gravestones?
            > Either the stonemason or the family member who commissioned it I
            > guess.
            >
            > Presumably, apart from very old generic messages (such as "Rest In
            > Peace") someone should be earning royalties.
            >
            > Is it any defence to claim that a photograph of a copyrighted piece of
            > text is any different from a textual copy of it? Is it? That is, if
            > I use someone's poem on my home page without permission I'm surely
            > breaching their copyright but am I still if I portray a photography of
            > an object in a public place bearing a transcript of the same.
            >

            > The world can become a very silly place if you look at it in a silly
            > way ;o)
          • Bob Blakely
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
              Generally, folks in the US have no problem shooting gravestones and this is
              actually quite common in cemeteries where "unique" epitaphs are found.
              Anything you shoot from public land (if you are able to be on public land)
              is generally fair game so long as persons photographed have no reasonable
              expectation of privacy (e.g. clearly visible to passers by). The common
              lands, roads and paths within a private cemetery are the property of the
              owner(s) of the cemetery, and they are the ones you should speak regarding
              photographs of gravestones within their fences. While I'm sure there are
              some somewhere who will object, I've never run into them. The sayings on the
              gravestones belong to the authors, and the rights to the statues, etc.
              belong to the artist. Your photograph of these belongs to you, assuming that
              your photograph adds artistic value. This is pretty loose and generally
              means that you can take and show the shot as you like (on the net, etc.),
              but you can't make other use of the unique phrases themselves.

              I'm sure there are some bizarre jurisdictions where the above is not true.

              Regards,
              Bob...

              From: "Gregory david Stempel" <fyrframe@...>

              > Can someone enlighten me on the laws pertaining to showing grave stones
              with
              > the names of the deceased clearly obvious, on the net or any other public
              > venue??
            • Bob Talbot
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
                > And that Great Egret I shot, is that copyrighted by GOD?
                Depends whether or not you believe "Jesus Lives" since copyright lasts
                for life + (as many years as the Disney lobby think fit). Under Roman
                Law J died on the cross and all that ....

                Also, the egret, beautiful as it is, would have been covered by patent
                not copyright anyway - that would have expired after a mere 20-y
                (much less than GOD who is supposed to be eternal ;o)

              • Bob Talbot
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
                  <<What would you like on your tombstone? ©?>>

                  Rich

                  with me it's a toss up between two old favourites

                  1) "beneath this sod lies another"

                  2) "I told you I was ill" - Spike Milligan
                  or "Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite" as his family would have it
                  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3742443.stm

                  Bob
                • lookaround360@panoramacamera.us
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
                    Build a Lookaround!
                    The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.
                    NOW SHIPPING
                    http://www.panoramacamera.us

                    We discussed RIP's last week Bob.

                    There's been a patent application for video tombstones. And some
                    cemeteries already have video kiosks on the grounds with commemorative
                    videos of the customers.

                    My crypt is going to have a bluetooth USB that plays this:
                    http://www.theguitarguy.com/enjoyyou.htm

                    AZ

                  • PhotoRoy6@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
                      BobTalbot@... writes:
                      Presumably someone holds copyright to the words written on
                      gravestones?
                      **************************************

                      You can't copyright short phrases or sentences. Also it has to be an original
                      work like a poem. It also has to have been created after 1923.
                    • Warner.Ragsdale@rrd.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2005

                        Return Receipt

                          Your document: