Re: Film vs Digital (double exposures)

  • Qkano
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
      >Yes, actually. I did this that way:
      >http://tinyurl.com/5lbop

      David

      A quite "artistic" use of the technique. Works quite well for the sunlight-through-the-trees.

      On the whole, pre- and post- digital it's one of those "curiosities" that comes and goes. We all give it a try (well, some of us) but it never fids a real practical use.

      Bob

      --

      Whatever you Wanadoo:
      http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

    • J C Hanson
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
        As an FYI...  The Fuji FinePix S2 Pro (and I believe the new S3 also) WILL make multiple exposures on a single image frame.  But I agree with you Bob...  why would you want to when you would have much more control later with your photo editing program.

        Cheers!

        Janine (Hanson) Leonardi

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Re: Film vs Digital (double exposures)
        From:
        Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@...>
        Date:
        Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:16:36 +0000
        To:
        List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@...>
        To:
        List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@...>

        Check out this web site
        http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

        Yes indeed, it is a good site.

        One thing the author said twice that seemed odd to me was about "One
        cannot make double or multiple exposures with digital cameras. "

        Sure, this is more or less true for current DSLRs but it's a dumb
        thing to throw at digital.  After all, "why" would anyone want to make
        double exposures on digital? Surely the result would be
        indistinguishable from combining HDR versions of the two digital files
        later???  And, of course, the photographer gets to control the balance
        of the two frames at the finishing stage

        With film double exposures were
        1) quirky
        2) semi random
        Due to film characteristics the result might not be the same as
        attempting to combine two frames later but ...

        Bob
      • David Dyer-Bennet
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
          Qkano <snapper@...> writes:

          >>Yes, actually. I did this that way:
          >>http://tinyurl.com/5lbop
          >
          > A quite "artistic" use of the technique. Works quite well for the
          > sunlight-through-the-trees.

          Thanks. I was kinda pleased with how that turned out.

          > On the whole, pre- and post- digital it's one of those "curiosities"
          > that comes and goes. We all give it a try (well, some of us) but it
          > never fids a real practical use.

          I played with it because of a discussion I was having with friends.
          They didn't really believe the water and cloud effects visible in the
          old Russian photos were just changes in the scene between the three
          exposures. (These friends weren't photographers.) I did my pictures
          to show (I confidently expected) the same effects, definitely coming
          out of the time differences between the exposures. Worked fine, and
          was convincing, so that's a win. And I picked up some additional
          experience, having actually *done* it leaves me understanding it
          better than just *thinking* about how it'd work.

          But I agree the technique is little more than a curiousity for modern
          work.
          --
          David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@...>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
        • Don Roberts
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
            Deen Hameed wrote:

            > David, How did you combine the 3 channels in PS? I tried
            > dragging and dropping them onto a) a new file b) duplicate of one
            > of the images resulting in new alpha channels in the 3-channel
            > image. The common bits are in colour, but there is an overall
            > cast (red) and the other channels were not so visible (just
            > barely) I tried copying & pasting the individual channels into
            > existing channels (overwriting them), and the result was much
            > better. ONLY: the common parts are in B&W... What am I missing?
            >

            > Still, it was a fun thing to try... especially, where i got my
            > wife to stand in the sun and flap her arms like a bird.... :D

            I thought it was just lunacy when my wife does that. I never
            thought to grab a camera!

            > Best regards, Deen 2004-12-01 12:29:34

            Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, IA
            * *
            Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
            matter. -- Martin Luther King
          • Deen Hameed
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
              David,

              How did you combine the 3 channels in PS?

              I tried dragging and dropping them onto
              a) a new file
              b) duplicate of one of the images

              resulting in new alpha channels in the 3-channel image. The common bits are in colour, but there is an overall cast (red) and the other channels were not so visible (just barely)

              I tried copying & pasting the individual channels into existing channels (overwriting them), and the result was much better. ONLY: the common parts are in B&W...

              What am I missing?

              Still, it was a fun thing to try... especially, where i got my wife to stand in the sun and flap her arms like a bird.... :D

              Best regards,
              Deen
              2004-12-01 12:29:34

              --
              Deen Hameed
              0405 649 101 deenhameed@...

              At 2004-12-01, 11:32:53 David Dyer-Bennet (dd-b@...) wrote:

              >Yes, actually. I did this that way:
              >
              ><http://tinyurl.com/5lbop>
              >
              >and also the next one in the album.
              >
              >(Full URL is:
              ><http://www.dd-b.net/perl/picpage/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/2001/05000-May%20Misc?id=Ep850-20010507-001-comp-2>)
              >--

              ___ END OF QUOTED TEXT ___
            • PhotoRoy6@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
                Don
                Yes I tried this many years ago with three pictures taken with film camera on
                a tripod, scanned them and couldn't get the results in PS (5.0) that I got
                thru the double or triple exposure in the camera thru different color filters.
                Roy

                In a message dated 11/30/04 3:05:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                droberts@... writes:
                One of the less serious ways that I have used a camera involved
                taking a triple exposure through red/green/blue filters. Anything
                that moved, e.g. clouds, water, would have natural colors except
                where the image changed and that change would register in the color
                of the filter at the time of exposure. This may be what Emily was
                referring to. Has anyone tried 3 exposures through 3 filters on
                digital and then overlaid in PS? Or how about just 3 exposures and
                then pulling out a separate channel for each and overlaying those?
                Does that make sense?
                Don
              • Bob Talbot
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
                  > How did you combine the 3 channels in PS?

                  >From Channels view - in each of the three images
                  - click Split Channels

                  Then, with just one of the images open (now labelled "image1_B.ext"
                  for instance")
                  - click "Merge Channels"
                  as long as they are of equal proportions [essential, crop if needed]
                  - choose Mode RGB, 3 channels
                  - select the channels to combine from the drop-downs.
                  Image1_R
                  Image2_G
                  Image3_B

                  Voila

                  If the images are not perfectly aligned, highlight one channel ar a
                  time and use the nudge tool.

                  Bob
                • David Dyer-Bennet
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
                    Deen Hameed <deenhameed@...> writes:

                    > David,
                    >
                    > How did you combine the 3 channels in PS?
                    >
                    > I tried dragging and dropping them onto
                    > a) a new file
                    > b) duplicate of one of the images
                    >
                    > resulting in new alpha channels in the 3-channel image. The common bits are in colour, but there is an overall cast (red) and the other channels were not so visible (just barely)
                    >
                    > I tried copying & pasting the individual channels into existing channels (overwriting them), and the result was much better. ONLY: the common parts are in B&W...

                    You know, I don't now remember. I *think* I used copy and paste
                    between individual channel editing. (What Bob suggests in a recent
                    message would be considerably easier).

                    > What am I missing?
                    >
                    > Still, it was a fun thing to try... especially, where i got my wife to stand in the sun and flap her arms like a bird.... :D

                    <grin>

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
                      Well I get out my digital camera and try it.
                    • Qkano
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
                        > Well I get out my digital camera and try it.

                        And submit the result to the gallery for comment ? ;o0
                      • Deen Hameed
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                          At 2004-12-02, 07:43:27 Don Roberts (droberts@...) wrote:

                          >> Still, it was a fun thing to try... especially, where i got my
                          >> wife to stand in the sun and flap her arms like a bird.... :D
                          >
                          >I thought it was just lunacy when my wife does that. I never
                          >thought to grab a camera!

                          well.... nowww yoooo knowwwww

                          Best regards,
                          Deen