Re: Need some advice

  • Srinivasa
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      I finally took some pictures over the weekend. Weather
      wasnt too great. however I tried my best. Here are the
      pictures...

      http://www.regeti.com/gallery/webdoyle

      After I took the pictures I realised that I could have
      done much better especially with the shadows in his
      eyes. I did not use any filters and the pictures are
      not modified either.

      Based on your feedback may be I can try again. By the
      way my skill level is only at a medium level much
      lesser than most of the members here.

      thanks,
      -regeti-

    • lea
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        Emily makes some very good points. I looked at the first images thinking
        this shoot was just playtime but the further I got into the images the
        easier it was to see that you were doing some promo photography work for
        this realtor. Then I became very confused as to what the car, the dog,
        the houses, the signs all had to say about this guy and of course I
        began wondering what the purpose of the photographs would be. The more I
        saw the more confused I became although I think several of the images
        are very good.

        I would be cautious, as Emily suggests, in not presenting this guy as
        too rich...I wouldn't care how many cars he has or what kind of dogs he
        has, I would care about how he's going to work for me to sell my house.
        These photos show off the fact that he is obviously well-to-do but they
        don't show me that he's a nice guy and easy to work with...that's what
        I'd want to know.

        I do think you need to open the shadows in the eyes a bit with some fill
        flash and I'd get closer. I'd also pay attention to where you place him
        in the frame in shots with houses...in some images he looks overly large
        compared to the house and in others there is so much roof showing that
        it's distracting. You might consider him posed as if welcoming someone
        into a home...take advantage of the opportunities presented by doorways.

        I would ditch every one of the images with his for sale sign in
        them...the sign looks garrish and cheap compared to his clothing, the
        car and the houses. Actually, I take that back...the image 663 would be
        very good if the background object were a a house and not a car. You
        could definitely work with this concept and get some good images with
        the right house in the right setting.

        I'm curious about how these images were shot as I'm noticing some color
        bleeding from his white shirt in several images...644 is one. There
        seems to be flare caused by the whiteness of his shirt. This tends to be
        a digital phenomenon as far as I know.

        All that being said, I really, really like image 669 and if this guy is
        trying/wishing to show off his well-to-do status this would be a great
        print to have framed in the office!

        Lea

> [...]
        > > be digital anyway,
        > > >
        > > > so he's going to need digital files for his
        > > printer. If something
        > > > awful happens with the color you can fix it in
        > > Photoshop, but the
        > > > worst thing that could happen is that you'd forget
        > > to use the fill
        > > > flash, or to dial it down far enough to not blow
        > > out the
        > > > highlights.
        > > >
        > > > And in advance, get someone to sit for you and
        > > shoot their face from
        > > >
        > > > a bunch of different angles. Look over the take
        > > and notice the
        > > > psychological effect on the viewer of the angles.
        > > >
        > > > Pick one that's right for a friendly realtor.
        > > > --
        > > > Emily L. Ferguson
        > > > mailto:elf@...
        > > > 508-563-6822
        > > > New England landscapes, wooden boats and races,

      • Marilyn
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
            First off, I don't know a thing about this kind of shoot so......

            At 3 meg per image and my dialup connection I don't have the time to
            download the full images but one thing I noticed was that your camera was
            obviously not level in some images. The lines of the house are crooked. Also
            there is some serious distortion of the man where you had the camera too
            close to him for the lens you were using. He looks rather bloated. Maybe if
            you got your camera angle higher, you could get all of the house and the
            salesman in the shot. The lines of the house would show keystoning and your
            salesman may appear to have a slightly enlarged head (if you get close to
            him) but I think people are used to seeing that kind of shot. Climb up on
            the hood of his car for a couple of shots.

            Also there are a couple of shots with his head squarely between the windows
            of the house. To me it makes the windows look like eyes and his head turns
            into a nose.

            When I looked at the first page of thumbs with no 'for sale' sign in them I
            thought 'where's the for sale sign'. I don't want to know that this guy is
            going to make a fortune off me if he sells my house but his being able to
            sell a home like that might be good. I would prefer to see his cheesy sign
            in the shot if the shot is intended to drum up business for him.

            About the shadows in the eyes, on a day like that I suppose fill flash is
            all you can do. I would prefer a reflector on a sunny day though.

            Greg Fraser
            "Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
            http://home.golden.net/~fraserg

            >I finally took some pictures over the weekend. >
            > http://www.regeti.com/gallery/webdoyle
            >

            > After I took the pictures I realised that I could have
            > done much better especially with the shadows in his
            > eyes.

            > Based on your feedback may be I can try again. >
            > thanks,
            > -regeti-

          • Srinivasa
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
              Hello Lea,

              First of all thanks very much for your detailed
              feedback on the pictures. I had the same thoughts you
              have expressed in your email when I shooting these
              pictures.

              You are right the Agent wants to use two or three of
              the pictures for promotional purposes and submit them
              to the local newspaper.

              The agent insisted on his classic car being in the
              picture as he wants to compare his service to classic
              service. He wanted the dog because he wants to post
              his picture by some petstores.

              I did take some pictures with a fill flash (only a
              few) and yes I noticed that there is a color bleed, I
              did not know why it happened and may be its a digital
              camera phenomenon. I used D70 with Nikon 50mm/f1.4
              lens. The house in the background is his own house and
              he was little bit hesistant to show his house in the
              pictures. He did not have a good sold sign, but he did
              want a picture taken with his sign and that was the
              only available sign. May be I should mention it to him
              that we need a better looking sign and covering more
              house in the background.

              Appreciate your feedback on selection of the pictures,
              may be I can print them and give it to him. He said
              there are few other agents who want their pictures
              taken and he wants me to do it. The feedback I am
              getting from this list is very helpful and I am
              learning a lot.

              by the way I am shooting these pictures for any money.

              Best regards,
              Srinivasa Regeti

            • Srinivasa
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                Hello Greg,

                I did not realise until you mentioned in the email
                that he lines are not leveled. I will have to keep
                this in mind next time when I take pictures like this.
                I also looked at the picture with him in the middle
                and the windows on the sides, it looks funny...

                I did make a comment to the agent at the end of the
                day that in few of the images you looks like a car
                sales guy.

                Regards,
                Srinivasa Regeti

              • James B. Davis
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
                  On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:47:55 -0800 (PST), Srinivasa <photo@...>
                  wrote/replied to:

                  >After I took the pictures I realised that I could have
                  >done much better especially with the shadows in his
                  >eyes. I did not use any filters and the pictures are
                  >not modified either.
                  >
                  >Based on your feedback may be I can try again. By the
                  >way my skill level is only at a medium level much
                  >lesser than most of the members here.

                  I would have used a bit of fill flash, but YOU DONE GOOD!

                  --
                  Jim Davis, Nature Photography:
                  http://jimdavis.oberro.com/