Re: first show

  • steves
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
      You should 'mount' the photograph flat, preferable with dry mount tissue;
      and 'matt' it with the edge of the window right up to the edge of that black
      border you wrote that you make on the print.

      Frame the photograph with plexiglass in the event the framed pic. might fall
      or be bumped, no glass to shatter. The frame: a Neilson brand choice of
      black or silver is the best choice for neutral attraction to anything but
      the print. Easy to assemble and easy to reuse.

      S.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
        Christy,

        Others have given good advice on the framing/matting issue so I'll leave
        that alone. I write to tell you that you have a really great web site
        with some terrific images. You do a good job of telling a story, start
        to finish, in your galleries.

        Congratulations on being accepted in the show.
        Lea

        > I've just had a few of my photos accepted in a group show. This is my
        first
        > show ever and we only have ten days to get our work in order, so I
        have a
        > few dumb questions for you all. I've gotten a list of specifications
        from
        > the gallery about different aspects of hanging and such, but none of
        these
        > issues were addressed. These are more "what is more commonly done"
        kinds of
        > things. Prints will be 16x20 and 20x24.
        >
        > 1. Should all the images be full frame? I usually print with the
        entire
        > image with a thin black border and remaining edge of the paper white,
        but is
        > that too casual for a show? Should I print the whole image or crop so
        there
        > is no border?
        >
        > 2. Should I frame with no white border - just the image going right up
        > the edge of the frame?
        >
        > Sorry if these are silly questions - they're just things you never
        realize
        > you have to think about until you, you know, have to think about them.
        >
        > Thanks so much for any advice.
        >
        > Christy
        > www.christybright.com

      • Marilyn
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
            I missed Steve's comments. He is right on with his advice, too.

            Marilyn
          • henk thijs
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
              Dear list,
              In was a member some 10 years ago; well known maybe at that time for
              my 'salade spinner film dryer' :-)
              By accident I saw some early messages in the archive by uploading my website.
              So I thought : I just join again , 10 years of more experience, and
              maybe with something to learn or even to advice from 'the other
              side'.
              See also my website http://www.thijs-foto.com
              Cheers,
              Henk
              --

              --------------------------------------
              H e n k T h i j s - P h o t o g r a p h y
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004

                p://www.thijs-foto.com
                > member of F68 http://www.f68.nl
                > --------------------------------------

                Welcome back Henk Lukens
                The Wizard is not played by Don Herbert, Don Herbert is a wizard!! ; )
                Lukens
              • Christy
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Thank you all so much for the quick and specific advice! You saved me from
                  making a couple of very costly mistakes.

                  The show is at ICP - not the main gallery but the one just across the street
                  on the other side of 6th Ave. The show is called "A Visual Life" and runs
                  from Sept 17 to Dec 19th.

                  Thanks again so much. This list is an invaluable resource.

                  Christy