Re: resizing for email attachments or the web

  • Walter Holt
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 1, 2004
      Jim and Emily,

      The A2 has a live histogram to view before capture as well as a
      histogram to view after the capture. The manual says they may not
      match and to depend mostly on the histogram after the capture.
      I have read several internet articles on not blowing out the whites.
      It seems the best exposure is to go as far to the right as you can
      without the white line #255 running up to the side of the histogram.

      I really appreciate your making the connection of the setting of my
      manual exposure with the histogram as a guide. The minolta book does
      not make that connection. It treats manual exposure determination and
      the reading of a histogram as very separate unrelated functions.
      I may have made the connection myself, but in what year! Thanks

      I have two batteries and two 2GB Hitachi Microdrive cards which I carry
      with the camera. I'm guessing I could also burn a few CDs aboard ship.
      (The Diamond Princess) On my last vacation I carried thirty-five 36
      exp rolls of slide film (a mix of daylight and tungsten), three zooms
      and two N90s bodies in a big Domke bag, and argued with airport
      security at least 3 times for a hand inspection of my film. My A2
      weighs he same as my 28 to 105 Nikon lens alone.

      This trip will be a breeze.
      Walter

      PS; I understand the airlines onboard luggage x-ray machine is OK for
      my memory card but the walk through metal detector is not. Do I have
      that right? Please confirm!

      ===============================
      On Wednesday, June 30, 2004, at 11:04 AM, James B. Davis wrote:

      > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:25:28 -0400, you wrote:
      >
      >> that's why you need to do all the preparation with the manual before
      >> you go. So that you know how to adjust your exposure compensation
      >> for different lighting situations. I just had a friend over and we
      >> were talking about the way these digital sensors tend to blow out the
      >> brights and how much we learned to underexpose. With the D100 I
      >> found a third of a stop to cover many blownout highlights, and also
      >> that the digital capture contained a lot of info in the darks that
      >> could be pulled out in Photoshop.
      >
      > I'm going to add that it's VERY important to expose for the upper half
      > of the histogram. Apparently digital information is greater to the
      > right side of the histogram in a logarithmetic way. In other words,
      > the upper end, the highlight end of the spectrum captured, has way
      > more info than the bottom end. That's why, when you pull those shadows
      > up, they're going to be grainy as hell. Er, noisy that it. Same with
      > film, but we can maximize the amount of quality info in an image by
      > adjusting exposure in camera.
      >
      > So, histogram almost all the way to the right, and take whatever you
      > get to the left of it. Flash and reflectors are the only way to change
      > that. Oh, and RAW does allow you to pull back one stop of highlights
      > and pick up more shadow detail by far than JPG shooting. I look on it
      > more as a safety cushion, it's still easy to blow out highlights.
      >
      > I nearly cried after seeing some camera JPGs way back after first
      > getting my camera. Some great images were toast, highlights just gone.
      > I've always shot RAW ever since.
      >
      > And especially when new, you want to minimize the camera futzing with
      > settings. You want to be more concerned with things like focus mode,
      > exposure comp, and framing. I leave my white balance to daylight. I
      > can change it to whatever I want later with RAW, so another thing less
      > to worry about. Auto WB gives you less consistancy making it more
      > difficult to balance a series later. Although it's not that hard,
      >
      > Two 512 meg CF cards gives me about 150 shots of RAW with the 10d. I
      > dump to an Imagetank 20 gig device if I'm on the road. I can dump all
      > files on a CF with the push of one button. It doesn't care what kind
      > of files they are either.
      > --
      > Jim Davis, Nature Photography
      > http://jimdavis.oberro.com/
      > Standard Poodles for fun

    • Emily L. Ferguson
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 1, 2004
        You might want to go to PhotoPro http://www.photonews.com and look at
        the tech and pro forums. The situation with airlines and sensitivity
        of digital media to various scanning devices gets regular attention
        there, as well as the problems with getting the airlines to honor
        your requests for hand checks. I haven't travelled in more than a
        year, so I'm not up to date, but if I had two 2Gig cards I wouldn't
        let them anywhere near any scanning device. Too big an investment to
        lose to some dumb machine which isn't even looking for them anyway.
        --
        Emily L. Ferguson
        mailto:elf@...
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 1, 2004
          At 07:51 AM 7/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
          > I haven't travelled in more than a year, so I'm not up to date, but if I
          > had two 2Gig cards I wouldn't let them anywhere near any scanning
          > device. Too big an investment to lose to some dumb machine which isn't
          > even looking for them anyway.
          >--

          X-ray machines won't hurt the CF cards, but the magnetic scanners that you
          walk through will. Just be sure you send your cards through the x-ray and
          don't carry them in your pockets. It's much easier to get digital "film"
          through airports than to try to pass normal film around the x-ray machines
          or worry about fogging as it goes through. U.S. airports have to hand
          check film if you request it, but foreign ones don't and most of the ones
          I've been through lately refuse to hand check.

          Tina

          Tina Manley, ASMP
          www.tinamanley.com
        • Walter Holt
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 1, 2004
            Thanks Tina,
            I tried to look up this info on the ASMP national website but could not
            find it. I thought I had read about getting through airport security
            in a ASMP Bulletin a few month ago, but I was using film then so the
            part about memory cards didn't register.
            Walter Holt

            On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Tina Manley wrote:

            > At 07:51 AM 7/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
            >> I haven't travelled in more than a year, so I'm not up to date, but
            >> if I had two 2Gig cards I wouldn't let them anywhere near any
            >> scanning device. Too big an investment to lose to some dumb machine
            >> which isn't even looking for them anyway.
            >> --
            >
            > X-ray machines won't hurt the CF cards, but the magnetic scanners that
            > you walk through will. Just be sure you send your cards through the
            > x-ray and don't carry them in your pockets. It's much easier to get
            > digital "film" through airports than to try to pass normal film around
            > the x-ray machines or worry about fogging as it goes through. U.S.
            > airports have to hand check film if you request it, but foreign ones
            > don't and most of the ones I've been through lately refuse to hand
            > check.
            >
            > Tina
            >

            > Tina Manley, ASMP
            > www.tinamanley.com

          • Richard Martin
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 1, 2004
              --- Tina Manley <images@...> wrote:
              > X-ray machines won't hurt the CF cards, but the magnetic
              > scanners that you
              > walk through will.

              I doubt that flash memory like CF cards will be harmed by any
              electrical or magnetic field you could encounter at an airport.
              But the ultra-fine wires and other metal parts in the cards
              might set off the metal detectors. In any event it probably pays
              to play it safe and let the cards go through the x-ray machine
              along with your camera.

              Richard

              =====
              Richard Martin specializes in Cityscape