review of gallery

  • Jim Davis Nature Photography
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      Well, I have some time, and this week's gallery is really excellent.
      Here are my honest and hopefully helpful comments:

      Marilyn Dalrymple Shadow in a frame

      Interesting abstract that would be difficult to tell how it was done
      without the data provided. Might be nicer with an increase in
      contrast. Overall nice mood and colour.

      Russ Baker Deb

      I love seeing sexy ladies almost my own age. She's got lovely eyes too
      and seems quite relaxed. I think this might be more difficult with a
      stranger this age.

      Jim Davis Great Reed Warbler

      I had submitted another photo of this bird, with a comment that I was
      hoping to get him with his beak open without a foreground reed
      slightly obscuring his tail a bit. Next day I did just that, and
      resubmitted. Thanks to the staff for the extra effort to swap images.

      Bob Talbot Spiderettes

      A lovely macro shot with an abstract feel and wonderful colour. Nicely
      composed with good balance all around. Amazing what digital can do
      these days to provide a realistic rendition. Oh ya, Bob's too cheap to
      buy a DSLR heh heh. Nice shot Bob. Betcha didn't shoot it just this
      past week :-)

      Margaret Lucas early morning lobstering

      Ok, nice capture all around. Seems you used a small aperture and got a
      large DOF. I'd like to have seen this with a shallow DOF on the boat,
      but that's just the only thing that strikes me that might have made
      this better. Nice early morning feel to it. Well framed and well
      taken. Congratulations, and welcome to the gallery. Please submit more
      of your work in the future.

      Emily L. Ferguson approaching the windward mark

      Well. You're right about browner for sepia, but I think I like
      sailboats in colour myself. Overall it feels a bit crowded and
      confused with so many boats. I think likely it'd look much better in a
      large print.

      Rich Mason

      I just opened this for a second look and noticed the open door in the
      exact centre silo. Nice shot! This is a rule breaking composition for
      sure, but it makes good use of colour and exact framing to create
      quite a nice visual impact.

      Jim Snarski Out of Kenya

      I think this is another image that would look good in a large print.
      On my screen it just seems a bit dull and static. I'll bet it's tough
      getting something really special in a place like this. I thought the
      white areas were water or sand but remembered you said it was soda.
      The shadows on the mountains look quite blue. I wonder how a skylight
      might have helped or a bit of manipulation to give the shot a warmer
      look.

      Trevor Cunningham Red 7

      Wow, we got lots of interesting shots with water in them this week.
      This is another with a really abstract look, and unreal colours. Well
      framed with some interesting underwater lines, but it seems a bit
      fuzzy, or misty. Course being an abstract it doesn't really hurt the
      image, but I was just wondering if this is becaue of steam rising, a
      fingerprint on the lens, or what?

      Don Roberts Hierve el Agua

      I think you got an interesting subject but it kind of looks like you
      just pointed and shot. The framing and background just looks a bit
      tightly cropped and not quite interesting enough. Perhaps a wider
      angled lens, or tighter crop might have worked.

      Paresh Pandit the pole

      Well, I'm certainly wondering what happened to the box's cover, and
      why there are no wires on the insulators, the pole does seem in use.
      Overall, I'm going to give this one the thumbs down. It just doesn't
      do anything for me. It's cluttered and super contrasty. There must be
      more interesting stuff around over there.

      WRGill Wildflowers and Driftwood

      First off, this image appears too much to the magenta side. Secondly,
      the weed sticking up on the right side of bottom centre really doesn't
      help the image get off the ground. The viewpoint is too much perhaps
      from a regular human's perspective. It appears tightly cropped. The
      left half of the image, with some colour balancing might have made a
      much more interesting image. Oh, ya, the driftwood itself appears out
      of focus. You should try different shooting heights, and use shallow
      DOF to make things stand out more. If you have Photoshop, try sampling
      areas which you think might be close to grey and see how the colours
      look. Driftwood should be grey/brown toned. One more things, you
      should have lowered the contrast a bit.

      I hope I haven't discouraged anyone, and perhaps helped someone do
      better. Let's keep the quantity coming, and the quality up!

      --
      Jim Davis
      Nature Photography
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- Jim Davis Nature Photography
        <JBDavis@...> wrote:

        Trevor Cunningham Red 7

        but it seems a bit fuzzy, or misty. Course being an
        abstract it doesn't really hurt the image, but I was
        just wondering if this is becaue of steam rising, a
        fingerprint on the lens, or what?

        The print was scanned, maybe something lost
        there...completely in focus...one thing is that the
        water was a bit on the murky side...high saline and
        plankton content can cloud things up a bit

        thanks for the review!

        =====

        "The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
        The pessimist fears it's true" - J Robert Oppenheimer

        http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • WRGill@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
          I hope I haven't discouraged anyone, and perhaps helped someone do
          better. Let's keep the quantity coming, and the quality up!

          -- Jim Davis
          Nature Photography

          Jim Davis makes me wish I were young and agile again, If it weren't for the
          lightness of the digital format, I wouldn't have been able to achieve what I
          did get. My small piece of driftwood, in reality is a tree trunk, that's been
          battered by the Pacific Ocean wave action, the underlying weeds, were unseen by
          me. I had to get down on my knees to shoot this, and had no pads to cushion my
          knees, and needed to get upright real fast! So be it for my lack of
          housecleaning, Hehehe!
        • Don Roberts
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
            Jim Davis Nature Photography wrote:

            >Well, I have some time, and this week's gallery is really excellent.
            >Here are my honest and hopefully helpful comments:
            >
            >Don Roberts Hierve el Agua
            >
            >I think you got an interesting subject but it kind of looks like you
            >just pointed and shot. The framing and background just looks a bit
            >tightly cropped and not quite interesting enough. Perhaps a wider
            >angled lens, or tighter crop might have worked.

            Jim, I'm afraid that I was in sort of vacation mode on this particular shot. Others are more "arty". Nikon 950 only offers so much wide angle so this is the result. I have tighter crops but elected this one. Such is life. Thanks for the time and the review.
            Don

            Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, Iowa
            * *
            We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly