Re: Pdfs of books

  • ReaperWolf
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2012
      What's most galling is none of this material is on DriveThruRPG or RPGNow.

      What the owner fails to realize many of these books have been pirated because they aren't available any other way and if given a chance most of us would happily reach for our wallets if we could get legal .pdfs.

      Unfortunately it's not worth the owner's time to mess with it but again, what he probably doesn't realize is the pirates have already done most if not all of the heavy lifting by scanning the books and making the .pdfs. All that needs to happen is to snag the .pdfs, rip 'em open to improve the quality and make bookmarks etc. to make 'em more professional. Save and submit to DriveThru and RPGNow and it's basically free money and the fans have a legal alternative to piracy.

      Come-on Mr. Nazuko throw us a freakin' bone.

      Lucky for me I've got most of the Living Steel stuff in hardcopy but I don't use the original system preferring to use WEG's D6 Space with elements borrowed from D6 Fantasy, Adventure, and D6 Powers.

      --- In phoenix_command@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Krockover" <gary@...> wrote:

      > I have PC Russian Roulette that I can scan for you if you are still needing it.
      >
      > The ones that I would be interested in are:
      > High Tech Weapon Data Supplement
      >
      > Gary

    • Phineas Cromwell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2012
        As one of these, so-called, as you say, "pirates", I myself scan everything
        I buy or borrow; I also have no qualms as to sharing it with those I call
        friends. And they have no qualms sharing their material with me. Everything
        I have bought has gone into John Q. Ebay's pocket, anyway. "Legal"?
        "LEGAL"? Are you kidding me? I have no intentions of waiting around for
        years while business types give a half-ass thought now and then whether or
        not they care to be bothered by the idea of republishing material as old as
        the hills that may or may not be worth it to their business predilected
        mentalities. For me, its an aesthetic matter; art over money. This
        all-too-reflexive "Piracy" is a self-righteous pejorative that is used to
        hide a fear of some supposed SWAT-raid. This material has already
        languished in a limbo/oblivion for years already. As far as I'm concerned,
        it now floats in an unofficial 'fair-use copyleft' zone. When years, even
        decades pass, and no effort is made to produce the material, why be quick
        to raise 'piracy' issues?

        I have already responded to a request for "The Phoenix Command Expansion";
        "Russian Roulette" is my latest purchase, but I still have to scan it. For
        those of you not squeamish as to fraternizing with a so-called "Pirate",
        perhaps I could lend some assistance.

      • Cpl Ferro
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2012
          Bravo, Cromwell. Cpl Ferro
          > To: phoenix_command@yahoogroups.com
          > From: phineascromwell@...
          > Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:02:19 -0400
          > Subject: Re: [phoenix_command] Re: Pdfs of books
          >
          > As one of these, so-called, as you say, "pirates", I myself scan everything
          > I buy or borrow; I also have no qualms as to sharing it with those I call
          > friends. And they have no qualms sharing their material with me. Everything
          > I have bought has gone into John Q. Ebay's pocket, anyway. "Legal"?
          > "LEGAL"? Are you kidding me? I have no intentions of waiting around for
          > years while business types give a half-ass thought now and then whether or
          > not they care to be bothered by the idea of republishing material as old as
          > the hills that may or may not be worth it to their business predilected
          > mentalities. For me, its an aesthetic matter; art over money. This
          > all-too-reflexive "Piracy" is a self-righteous pejorative that is used to
          > hide a fear of some supposed SWAT-raid. This material has already
          > languished in a limbo/oblivion for years already. As far as I'm concerned,
          > it now floats in an unofficial 'fair-use copyleft' zone. When years, even
          > decades pass, and no effort is made to produce the material, why be quick
          > to raise 'piracy' issues?
          >
          > I have already responded to a request for "The Phoenix Command Expansion";
          > "Russian Roulette" is my latest purchase, but I still have to scan it. For
          > those of you not squeamish as to fraternizing with a so-called "Pirate",
          > perhaps I could lend some assistance.
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM, ReaperWolf <lilcoyote@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > What's most galling is none of this material is on DriveThruRPG or RPGNow.
          > >
          > > What the owner fails to realize many of these books have been pirated
          > > because they aren't available any other way and if given a chance most of
          > > us would happily reach for our wallets if we could get legal .pdfs.
          > >
          > > Unfortunately it's not worth the owner's time to mess with it but again,
          > > what he probably doesn't realize is the pirates have already done most if
          > > not all of the heavy lifting by scanning the books and making the .pdfs.
          > > All that needs to happen is to snag the .pdfs, rip 'em open to improve the
          > > quality and make bookmarks etc. to make 'em more professional. Save and
          > > submit to DriveThru and RPGNow and it's basically free money and the fans
          > > have a legal alternative to piracy.
          > >
          > > Come-on Mr. Nazuko throw us a freakin' bone.
          > >
          > > Lucky for me I've got most of the Living Steel stuff in hardcopy but I
          > > don't use the original system preferring to use WEG's D6 Space with
          > > elements borrowed from D6 Fantasy, Adventure, and D6 Powers.

          > > --- In phoenix_command@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Krockover" <gary@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have PC Russian Roulette that I can scan for you if you are still
          > > needing it.
          > > >
          > > > The ones that I would be interested in are:
          > > > High Tech Weapon Data Supplement
          > > >
          > > > Gary

        • Phineas Cromwell
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2012