WMPH: Moving forward (a pseudo-manifesto)

  • Josh Lim
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2008

      There is now a race (by my standards) on who will establish the first Wikimedia chapter in Southeast Asia.

      Both us (the Philippines) and Indonesia are fast-tracking our ways to establishing our respective Wikimedia chapters.  Wikimedia Philippines came first, but we are falling far behind due to logistical hurdles (the P1 million provision, for one), while Wikimedia Indonesia, which came later, is now inching closer to being approved first by the Wikimedia Foundation and possibly as the first Wikimedia chapter in Southeast Asia.

      Take note, though: our communities are extremely different.  The Indonesian community is far more numerous, more active and (perhaps) better organized in person than the Filipino community, but we have the spunk to prove that free culture can thrive in the Philippines, where at least wiki culture (and free culture in general) has received press coverage, where Wikipedia content is used on a wide demographic: from students who use Wikipedia for their research to government agencies and LGUs who use our images on their websites, and where the government nonetheless has shown its commitment to free culture in the form of Bayanihan Linux.

      That's how rich free culture is in the Philippines.  And as such, you (seriously, ALL of you) can help.

      Wikimedia Philippines is nearing the stage of incorporation, and, judging from Bentong's registration of our official corporate name (Wikimedia Philippines, Inc.), our deadline to get everything done, from getting all documents set to incorporation proper, is AUGUST 4, 2008 (the date the name registration slip expires).  We have less than three months to get all of this set, and we are on a race against the Indonesians.

      The community though is still horribly underrepresented.  Most willing members of WMPH are from the Metro Manila area and the English Wikipedia community, with the other communities (and geographical areas) having little representation.  We don't even have women in our ranks of members.  If you want to contribute to the richness of the Philippine Wikimedia community (and of course, join Wikimedia Philippines), go to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Philippines/Participants.  We have 23 members, and as they say: "The more, the merrier!"

      Likewise, you may comment on all existing documents, and, if you speak Bikol, Cebuano, Chavacano, Hiligaynon/Ilonggo, Ilokano, Kapampangan, Kinaray-a or Waray-Waray, or even another language, translate them.  Feel free to comment on the Articles of Incorporation at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Philippines/Articles_of_Incorporation.  We'll deal with a new set of By-laws after the AoI is done.

      And, if you are willing, your financial support (if you wish to do so) is appreciated.  WMPH is now taking pledges.  Remember, before you give a pledge, make sure you can do good on it.  P2000 has been collected so far.

      This is a historic moment for free culture in the Philippines.  Finally, we have a chance to spread the word of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and its intellectual goldmine to the Filipino people.  And, with the other projects of the Wikimedia Foundation, we can make a free dictionary, free textbooks and all the other projects dreams coming to life.

      I do hope we can all do good on this.  This is our chance to shine.

      Sincerely,

      Joshua (Sky Harbor)

    • Vincent Isles
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2008
        We can beat the Indonesians once our Articles of Incorporation are
        approved by Wikimedia US. According to the promise by SEC, they can
        give recognition to the registered name within 24 hours after receipt
        of all required documents.

        Also take note we don't need the 1-million-peso bond; that's only for
        foundations, and we don't need to one.

        However, registering the name does not really equate to creating the
        community, although it is a good start. :)

        --Vincent Isles
        http://tech.islesv.net/

        --- In philwiki@yahoogroups.com, Josh Lim <akira123323@...> wrote:
        > There is now a race (by my standards) on who will establish the
        > first Wikimedia chapter in Southeast Asia.
      • akira123323
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2008
          True, but take note of this: the Indonesians already had their
          documents inspected by the Chapcom, while we have not. BTW, the P1
          million reference is a mere reference to setbacks in organizing WMPH.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2008
            --- In philwiki@yahoogroups.com, "akira123323" <akira123323@...> wrote:
            > True, but take note of this: the Indonesians already had their
            > documents inspected by the Chapcom, while we have not.

            Dang. This means they'll beat us.

            --Vincent Isles
            http://tech.islesv.net/
          • akira123323
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2008
              They have not received final approval since they are still translating
              their documents (as far as I know). We have an advantage: our original
              documents are written in English, while theirs are written in
              Indonesian. So they still have to get a lawyer-approved English
              translation before moving forward.

              For all I care, we need to set votation soon (like...this Saturday at
              the virtual meetup?)

              --- In philwiki@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Isles" <islesv@...> wrote:

              > --- In philwiki@yahoogroups.com, "akira123323" <akira123323@> wrote:
              > > True, but take note of this: the Indonesians already had their
              > > documents inspected by the Chapcom, while we have not.
              >
              > Dang. This means they'll beat us.
              >
              > --Vincent Isles
              > http://tech.islesv.net/

            • Vincent Isles
              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2008
                --- In philwiki@yahoogroups.com, "akira123323" <akira123323@...> wrote:

                > They have not received final approval since they are still
                > translating their documents (as far as I know). We have an
                > advantage: our original documents are written in English, while
                > theirs are written in Indonesian. So they still have to get a
                > lawyer-approved English translation before moving forward.

                That is our advantage in being an English country. :)

                > For all I care, we need to set votation soon (like...this Saturday
                > at the virtual meetup?)

                I don't think the virtual meetup would be the best medium for a
                voting. Perhaps we can just use the wiki setup?

                --Vincent Isles
                http://tech.islesv.net/
              • Joseph Ballesteros
                Message 7 of 7 , May 14, 2008

                  --- In philwiki@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Isles" <islesv@...> wrote:

                  > I don't think the virtual meetup would be the best medium for a
                  > voting. Perhaps we can just use the wiki setup?
                  >
                  > --Vincent Isles
                  > http://tech.islesv.net/

                  I agree. We should make use of this page:

                  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Philippines/Articles_of_Incorporation#Votation

                  Later in the afternoon, I might setup a draft on things to vote for like nomination of a treasurer and trustees.  We must settle first on the blanks on the AoI before approving it as a whole.  Of course, approving the AoI is just an initial step.  The By-Laws must also be approved.  To speed things up, can we make a parallel review and approval of the AoI and By-Laws?

                  -Jojit Ballesteros (User:Jojit fb)