Dialects & Progress

  • kilkennybound
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi Jerry,

      Could you please tell me which dialect we are going to be learning,
      and how to proceed with the lessons?

      Go raibh maith agat,

      Máirín
    • jerrykelly@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        Go raibh maith agat, a Mháirín.  Ceisteanna maithe. /   Thank you, Máirín.  Good questions.

        On phonetics, we'll learn about 95% of all the pronunciation rules including dialect variations.  That way, if a student hears a northern accent, or a southern accent, or a western accent, the student will be able to understand the speaker.  We'll leave out just a handful of the more obscure dialect variations.  Also, we won't try to identify which variations are northern, southern, or western (what an Irish person would call Ulster, Munster, or Connacht).  That's way too much information and probably not at all useful to students at this stage.  Instead, we'll just be ready for them when we hear them.

        On grammar, we'll do an overview of the official government standard and of course the terminology so that the students will be ready to move forward when they've completed this class.

        Our lesson plan will be the plan originally developed at The Irish Arts Center in New York in the late 1970s, then improved upon at The Gerry Tobin Irish Language School in Babylon over the last 15 years or so, and adapted for on-line use last year with our Philo-Celtic class in Albany.  No textbooks will be needed for this class.

        About 30 of our students who registered for the Philo-Celtic Yahoo Group haven't made it into a class yet.  I sent out reminders to all of them today, so we'll start in just a couple of days.

        Le gach dea-ghuí / Best, - Gearóid