'Dixonian' geological period In Brussels' museum

  • tonitrosus
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2009
      The new Evolution Gallery at the Brussels'musum of natural sciences
      has a section on speculative evolution for the next 50 million years.
      The organisers call it the 'Dixonian' period. I found it in a magazine
      and devoted a message in my blog to it, containing links to the museum.

      Here is the link:

      http://planetfuraha.blogspot.com/2009/02/future-evolution-in-brussels.html
    • Pavel I. Volkov
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2009
        --- In philosphica-dixonia@yahoogroups.com, "tonitrosus"
        <gertvandijk@...> wrote:

        > The new Evolution Gallery at the Brussels'musum of natural sciences
        > has a section on speculative evolution for the next 50 million years.

        Can you tell more about it?
      • tonitrosus
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2009
          Hi Pavel,

          I do not visit here daily, so I found your question whether I could
          tell more on my blog and answered it there, as follows:

          ----------------
          Hi Pavel,

          Not that much, in fact, if you are referring to the exposition itself.
          I have not (yet) found more images etc on the internet; only the ones
          that you see on the sites I supplied. The article is three pages, and
          does not contain other images of the animals than I showed you (well,
          the same ones but a bit bigger). The text goes into continental drift
          in the future, the choice for ecosu=ystems and why the animals that
          are actuallu shown were depicted. There is mention of a snake they
          designed: it hides the largest part of its body under the ground,
          apparently catching prey with the part above ground. The animal
          hanging from its tail is a large marsupial, aand the large tetrapod is
          a Corticochaeris, a descendent of the capibara, but 2 m in length.
          That's largely it.

          Then again, I will probably be writing another blog entry on the
          design team behind the exposition. I wil also put up a very short
          message with a link you may find interesting..

          And I just did!