Meta: Philosophy-IL has 8 members

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2003
      Philosophy-IL have exactly 8 members now. Hackers-IL has more member in
      its "core" group and this is not including the many lurkers and occasional
      contributors. I see two options:

      1. Merging back into Hackers-IL while making some regulations regarding
      philosophy. I don't think philosophy is a bad word, and I think the
      Hackers-IL people can effectively discuss a non-technical matter with
      style. We have already diverted into them occasionally.

      Now, re Politics. I don't want the standard "Palesitinians are bad and we
      should bombar them all" versus "We must evacuate all settlements" crap we
      hear so often. I don't mind discussing Philsopohy here on Philosophy-IL
      and did, but it has to be well-though, well-reasoned and profound. (which
      I hope I have achieved)

      2. Try and get more people to join. We can publicize in various Israeli
      forums or even abroad ones. The latter will risk this mailing list turning
      into a discussion of "Israel abuses Palestinians". This fact may be true
      to some extent, but discussing it excessively make everybody annoyed and
      indifferent. I actually invited someone (a Singaporian) to join this list
      and he refused because he believed it was specific to Israel.

      Now, I don't have a policy against not welcoming non-Israelis, and
      Hackers-IL and Linux-IL don't have this policy either. But I would like
      that problems that are specific to Israel can be freely discussed, without
      it turning into an anti/pro-Israeli flamewar. I.e: when we discussed
      voluntary army service, I'd like an American not to say something like
      "Israel is acting in an inhumane manner by forcing its sons to kill
      Palestiniants", but would very much like him to give an Analogy with
      Vietnam, and how pointless the general draft and the war was there. (since
      it underscores the fact, a nation can use a mandatory army for its
      government whims).

      <<<
      What I think can be a good idea is make sure everybody gets an army
      training, but no-one is forced to actually fight. Even in the Old
      Testament it was specified that whenever there's a war the people should
      be gathered, and asked if anyone is afraid of fighting, and whoever
      confesses to be so, can return to his home.

      What do you suggest to do?

      Home E-mail: shlomif@...