Re: Solving Revision 2

  • Nadav Har'El
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17 5:55 AM
      On Sun, Nov 17, 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Solving Revision 2":

      > Comments and suggestions are welcome. I plan to publicize it in Ha'ayal,
      > Kuro5hin or something like that soon.

      I completely disagree with your criticism of democracy. You say that
      "Democracy, however, is a system of government characterized by a
      dictatorship of the majority or an elected elite."

      This is a commonly held fallacy. Commonly held, but a fallacy nontheless.
      A dictatorship of the majority is NOT a modern democracy. A modern democracy
      is about letting the majority rule while at the same time ensuring that
      the basic rights of the minority are not trampled on.

      The definition of democracy has changed a bit since ancient greece :)

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Nov 17 2002, 12 Kislev 5763
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I would give my right arm to be
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 17 7:32 AM
        On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote:

        > On Sun, Nov 17, 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Solving Revision 2":
        > >
        > > Comments and suggestions are welcome. I plan to publicize it in Ha'ayal,
        > > Kuro5hin or something like that soon.
        >
        > I completely disagree with your criticism of democracy. You say that
        > "Democracy, however, is a system of government characterized by a
        > dictatorship of the majority or an elected elite."
        >
        > This is a commonly held fallacy. Commonly held, but a fallacy nontheless.
        > A dictatorship of the majority is NOT a modern democracy. A modern democracy
        > is about letting the majority rule while at the same time ensuring that
        > the basic rights of the minority are not trampled on.

        But by letting the selected elite rule this does obviously not happen. The
        elite continuely degrades the individual rights of all individuals in the
        country. Just look at what happened in the U.S. after Sep. 9.

        In Israel, we are affected by many minorities, who dictate things that
        nobody else likes. We are forced to pay income tax with the more
        productive paying a higher percentage, and are forced to finance
        sub-standard compulsory education, and are being harassed if we
        use illegal narcotics (which causes a lot of crime).

        A democracy is less destructive than Fascism or Communism but it too is
        destructive. The three authorities can easily be short-circuited to pass
        something disastrous.

        This cannot happen in the Linux world. For instance, Linus has decided to
        use BitKeeper for developing the Linux kernel. No other project has, and
        even some developers in the Linux arena don't use it.

        > The definition of democracy has changed a bit since ancient greece :)

        Not for the better, if you ask me. I support Liberalism and Capitalism,
        but Democracy is the lesser of evils. Laissez-Faire Capitalism and Linux
        are the good.

        Home E-mail: shlomif@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 17 7:36 AM
          Replying to myself I should say that I thank Nadav for his input and I
          will modify the Solving homepage to reflect it accordingly.

          Home E-mail: shlomif@...