A Different Take on having Popular Media [was Re: On Media and Priorities]

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17 11:32 PM
      A very interesting letter by Eric Raymond:

      <<<
      Why "High Art" is in Deep Trouble

      I wrote this in September 1997 as a
      letter to the "Philadelphia Inquirer" in response to widespread
      lamentation over the shutdown of Phildelphia's last full-time
      classical-music station, which sent many refugees over to run a half-time
      classical format on WRTI, the area's only full-time jazz station. Both the
      classical and jazz communities vented a disgusting amount of self-pity
      about this.

      I appreciate both jazz and classical music, but I'm fed up with the
      whining of the people protesting the WFLN/WRTI format change. Let's face
      some facts here -- while the jazz and classical traditions gave us works
      to stir the soul in past times, they have become commercially nonviable
      because their communities chose to marginalize themselves.

      The self-surrender of classical music to a sterile, scholastic
      avant-garde after World War I doomed WFLN to the status of a fading museum
      of antiquities before that radio station was even born. The hankering of
      dance-band leaders to be seen as high artists after World War II sapped
      jazz of its vitality. Both genres have been steadily losing market share
      for decades because they deliberately turned their backs on the mass
      audiences they formerly commanded.

      I would like to see both genres flourish again. I would like to see two
      or three competing jazz stations and classical stations in every city. But
      for that to happen, the jazz and classical genres are going to have to
      somehow break the stranglehold of the elitist, "avant-garde" thinking that
      only considers art worthwhile if it is difficult, inaccessible, or ugly.

      In this century the disease of avant-gardism has largely laid waste to
      self-conscious art of all kinds. It's time for artists, academics, and
      critics to face the fact that they (not the mass audiences they hold in
      thinly-disguised contempt) are responsible. And it's time for those of us
      who still believe great art can speak to everyone to dump the elitists
      overboard and vote -- with our dollars and our feet -- for great art that
      is not ashamed to be popular.

      Permanent URL:

      http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/arts.html

      Home E-mail: shlomif@...