RE: Open Letter - Rev. 2

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2002
      Hi!

      Please configure your mailer to cut lines properly.

      On Mon, 27 May 2002, Ofir Carny wrote:

      > You already said why in your letter - you value reason, you can claim
      > to value reason and then ignore all theoretic evidence,

      I beg your pardon, but I think theoretical ecidence is a contradiction. I
      don't have anything against theories and theoreticans, but the only test
      for a theory is real-life.

      There are various economical theories out there, and some of them justify
      Laissez-Faire Capitalism. They all sound good on the surface, but may make
      a lot of hidden false assumptions, non-sequitors, improper modellings,
      etc.

      Which one is right can only be proven by trying each out on a real-life
      economy and seeing which one lives to its promises.

      > if you do, you lose the reasonable basis of your claims and left only
      with your opinions -
      > nothing more.

      Like I said, some economists formulated pro-LFC theories, and you can read
      them if you like. 600 years ago, people believed the Sun and the
      other planets revolved around the Sun, and pointed to the writings of
      Aristotle and Ptolmey as "theoretical evidence". You cannot rule out that
      there might be a similar situation with Economical Science now.

      > Ofir

      Home E-mail: shlomif@...

    • Chen Shapira
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 23, 2002
        > Which one is right can only be proven by trying each out on a
        > real-life
        > economy and seeing which one lives to its promises.

        Partially true. I'd rather not have humans as guinea pigs if it can be
        avoided.
        The "bugs" in totalitarian communism were apparent to everyone but the
        Bolshevics, before they began their 70 years experiment. This experiment
        should have never been carried out. Russia paid a terribly high price for
        their experiment, and I wouldn't want to see anything similar happens here.

        I guess the correct way is to filter the theories using theoretical tools,
        before taking them to the field.

        Thanks,
        Chen.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2002
          On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Chen Shapira wrote:

          > > Which one is right can only be proven by trying each out on a
          > > real-life
          > > economy and seeing which one lives to its promises.
          >
          > Partially true. I'd rather not have humans as guinea pigs if it can be
          > avoided.
          > The "bugs" in totalitarian communism were apparent to everyone but the
          > Bolshevics, before they began their 70 years experiment. This experiment
          > should have never been carried out. Russia paid a terribly high price for
          > their experiment, and I wouldn't want to see anything similar happens here.
          >
          > I guess the correct way is to filter the theories using theoretical tools,
          > before taking them to the field.

          One question is what can you lose from implementing it. Laissez-Faire
          Capitalism specifically prohibits killing innocent people and gives the
          government very little power to harrase the individuals. The worst case
          scenario if it takes effect, is that some individuals, organizations or
          companies will lose money, market share, or replace ownership. I also
          don't rule out the possibility of a gradual conversion to LFC, however
          such that allows continued gains.

          Another question is how much are our theoretical tools able. There are
          many ways to abuse or fool reason, and Economics and Politics are a place
          where it is very easy to do so. I'm not suggesting to use Humans as guinea
          pigs, but the fact is that they have been used this way by the current
          political powers, with only a moderate success in achieving propsperity
          for all benevlonet people. (and none at achieving biological immortality).

          An idea I'm toying with is voluntarily enacting a de-facto LFC. E.g: by
          starting a private school network, a chain of private hospitals, make money
          by giving Objectivistic lectures or presentations, etc. That way we
          can gradually convert to a de-facto Laissez-Faire regardless of what the
          government thinks or see fit.

          > Thanks,
          > Chen.

          Home E-mail: shlomif@...

        • Ofir Carny
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 26, 2002
            Wow. almost one month delay...

            I already forgot sending that message...

            Regards.