RE: My Random Ideas Page

  • Ofir Carny
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2002
      > Discotheques Playing Music at a Decent Volume

      I actually bring ear plugs to discotheques.

      This email has been scanned by Port Authority.

    • Nadav Har'El
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2002
        On Wed, Jun 05, 2002, Chen Shapira wrote about "RE: My Random Ideas Page":
        > > previous book "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman" was
        > Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
        > front doors, drawers, briefcases,
        > padlocks, and more. On sale now!

        Again a case where Yahoogroups's ad is suspiciously related to the
        discussion :)

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Jun 5 2002, 25 Sivan 5762
        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |In God we Trust -- all others must submit
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2002
          Note to Hacker-ILers: I'm CCing this message here because it bears great
          relevance to computers.

          On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Chen Shapira wrote:

> [...]

          Or maybe the story happened to two difference persons? In the book
          "Innumeracy", John Allen Paulos sais that two different people having the
          same dream is actually quite probable (and proves it). But it is possible
          some of the stories were fabricated.

          > > 3. "The Mythical Man-Month" - I started reading it yesterday,
          > > and it is
          > > very interesting so far. This book has a very good reputation among
          > > software engineers.
          >
          > The book has excellent reputation.
          > On first read I've found it boring, but I found myself rereading many parts
          > on diffrent occasions and my opinion of it improved.
          > Every now and then I feel a compulsion to reproduce some of his data
          > (development rate against # of team members) using data availble about
          > open-source development in source-forge and likes.

          The problem with open-source development (maybe we should forward it to
          Hackers-IL?) is that in any project there are many lurkers, etc. Some
          projects become inactive after a while, and some of them are brought back
          to life (re: sys-call-track). Usually, there are one or two people doing
          most of the work.

          I'm not sure how much what Brooks says about team management and software
          engineering cannot be directly implied to open-source. In many open-source
          projects the developers are more concerned of playing with the elements,
          and the final product is a beneficial side-effect of it. In many
          commercial or commercially-sponsored projects, it's the other way around.

          > > 4. The Dragon Book - not too interesting, but quite important
          > > stuff, for
          > > those who actually deal in compiler theory or something similar.
          >
          > I found it pretty interesting actually, but I guess it depends on one's
          > interests. For some reason, I'm interested in parsing techniques.

          Actually, I found the chapter about parsing techniques very tedious. I
          eventually stopped reading it and moved to a later chapter. What I really
          like was the chapter about lexical analysis.

          > Lately I'm spending more time reading on statistics, and the more I read the
          > more fascinating it becomes. I sort of found myself studying statistics by
          > mistake, but it is probably one of the best things that happened to me. A
          > wide field on interesting studies that was completly hidden until now.
          > I'm not sure how much it interests people here, but I can write a short list
          > of recommended statistics books, to complement the well known CS list.

          I find the field of statistics relatively interesting: all this stuff
          about collecting, analyzing and verifying data, and all those tests,
          buzzwords and processes. As an electrical engineer we have to deal
          extensively with Probability Theory, which is a sister subject of
          statistics, that I found to be fascinating.

          Of course, one should always remember what Benjamin D'israeli said:

          "There are three kind of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics"

          ;-)

          Home E-mail: shlomif@...

        • Chen Shapira
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2002