Open Letter to Ariel Sharon

    Message 1 of 10 , May 21, 2002
      Check:

      http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/philosophy/open-letter/

      It's in Hebrew so I don't post it here. Comments, suggestions and flames
      are welcome.

      Home E-mail: shlomif@...

    • Ofir Carny
      Message 2 of 10 , May 22, 2002
        Please recieve a general flame from here, although you do have one or two good points,
        generally, what you suggest is against reason, specifically everything about economics
        and immigration.

        It's in Hebrew so I don't post it here. Comments, suggestions and flames
        are welcome.

        Home E-mail: shlomif@...

        *
        This email has been scanned by Port Authority.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 22, 2002
          On Wed, 22 May 2002, Ofir Carny wrote:

          > Please recieve a general flame from here, although you do have one or two good points,
          > generally, what you suggest is against reason, specifically everything about economics
          > and immigration.

          Why do you think so? (so I'll be able to reason against it?)

          Home E-mail: shlomif@...

          Message 4 of 10 , May 22, 2002
            On Wed, 22 May 2002, Ofir Carny wrote:

            > Please recieve a general flame from here, although you do have one or two good points,
            > generally, what you suggest is against reason, specifically everything about economics
            > and immigration.

            And if I may be prudent enough to ask: what do you mean by "against
            reason"? Do you mean "does not make sense", which naturally cannot prove
            they are falsified. Many theorems or conclusions in Mathematics don't make
            sense either.

            Or do you mean that you can prove them based on more basic principles by
            using logical deduction alone? Believe it or not, but I thought a lot
            about what I said there. At one time I believed they were true but
            afterwards concluded that they are correct.

            Home E-mail: shlomif@...

          • Ofir Carny
            Message 5 of 10 , May 22, 2002
              Sure, but I am a bit time constrained, so I'll address only the immigration point at this time
              and only briefly:

              You advocate immigration to be open for all, this would result in an inflow of immigrants to
              the developed nations, then you will have two options (which would both result in unjustifiable
              bad effects):

              You either let them enjoy the developed nation wellfare infrastructure or don't.

              The first option would result in depriving those who invested in that infrastructure some of their
              stake in it.

              The second option would result in two classes of citizens or worse. It will create an effectivly
              (in not activly) opressed majority a-la south africa.

              I really wonder which option would you chose. And how would you justify it.

              > Please recieve a general flame from here, although you do have one or two good points,
              > generally, what you suggest is against reason, specifically everything about economics
              > and immigration.

              Why do you think so? (so I'll be able to reason against it?)

              Home E-mail: shlomif@...

            • Ofir Carny
              Message 6 of 10 , May 22, 2002
                Most of the problems I plan to point out can be deduced by simple application of game
                theory concepts, and of basic economics, which can be regarded as proof. The others
                may fall into the 'do not make sense' slot, but as long as no robust proof exist of
                your statements, they nevertheless stand. I posed my first challange in my last mail
                (although not robustly yet), you are invited to comment on it.

                BTW, I am starting to get interested in your position about democracy. And its implications
                on your suggestions.

                2nd BTW, asking a leader to step down is not compliant with giving him suggestions for
                improvements.

                Regards,
                Ofir

                > Please recieve a general flame from here, although you do have one or two good points,
                > generally, what you suggest is against reason, specifically everything about economics
                > and immigration.

                And if I may be prudent enough to ask: what do you mean by "against
                reason"? Do you mean "does not make sense", which naturally cannot prove
                they are falsified. Many theorems or conclusions in Mathematics don't make
                sense either.

                Or do you mean that you can prove them based on more basic principles by
                using logical deduction alone? Believe it or not, but I thought a lot
                about what I said there. At one time I believed they were true but
                afterwards concluded that they are correct.

                Home E-mail: shlomif@...

              • Chen Shapira
                Message 7 of 10 , May 22, 2002
                  Hi,

                  I was wondering about the purpose of the letter.
                  Is it just a net rant? Do you plan on sending it to Sharon? Do you plan to
                  send it to various newpapers (as customary with open letters)?

                  If you plan on publishing it as a serious document, and not just a random
                  rant, it would need quite a bit of polish.
                  I'm not sure if you are interested in "technical" points (as opposed to
                  philosophical arguments), but I have some suggestions:

                  1. The Prime Minister should be addressed as Mr. Prime Minister (Adoni Rosh
                  Hamemshala).
                  2. If you want to have a chance to change someone's opinions, you should not
                  start by insulting them. Insults are OK for rants, but are not effective
                  means of influencing people. This means that you should change the style of
                  you openning paragraphs to something a bit more polite like:

                  Mr. Prime Minister,

                  My name is Shlomi Fish and I'm writing to you as a concerned citizen. I
                  trust that you'll take my letter as seriously as I wrote it, since you are a
                  proffessional politician for many years, and probably aware of the value of
                  listening to the opinions of citizens.

                  This is not an easy time to lead Israel, and I admire you for taking
                  responsibility and leadership at such time. However, I believe that you may
                  be causing irrepairable damage to our country, to which I'd like to turn
                  your attention. I'm sure that after reading this letter, you'll know why I'm
                  so concerned, and will agree that things must change.

                  Etc. etc.

                  Note that Sharon has been a politican for more than 40 years, he knows who
                  to listen to, you don't need to explain that.
                  Also, calling Sharon a "mystic" and a "destructor" nearly caused me to close
                  my browser, it'll certainly cause newspaper editors and Sharon's secretary
                  to throw it away.

                  3. You part about yourself is way too long. The usual length is one
                  paragraph.

                  4. You don't want to compare your achivements with Sharon's. Remember that
                  in addition to being a successfull politician, he was also a farmer and runs
                  a successfull sheep bussiness, as well as being an accomplished solider.

                  Here's a link with additional style suggestions:
                  http://www.asktog.com/columns/047HowToWriteAReport.html

                  Thanks,
                  Chen.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 22, 2002
                    On Wed, 22 May 2002, Ofir Carny wrote:

                    > Sure, but I am a bit time constrained, so I'll address only the immigration point at this time
                    > and only briefly:
                    >
                    > You advocate immigration to be open for all, this would result in an inflow of immigrants to
                    > the developed nations, then you will have two options (which would both result in unjustifiable
                    > bad effects):
                    >
                    > You either let them enjoy the developed nation wellfare infrastructure or don't.
                    >
                    > The first option would result in depriving those who invested in that infrastructure some of their
                    > stake in it.
                    >
                    > The second option would result in two classes of citizens or worse. It will create an effectivly
                    > (in not activly) opressed majority a-la south africa.

                    1. I don't see welfare as benevolent either for citizens of the country or
                    for strangers. It is much better to have richer hard-working people than
                    momentarily richer poor ones. The reason is that rich people know how to
                    make better use of their money than poor people or the government can.
                    Poverty would be eliminated much more quickly without welfare.

                    2. Assuming we keep welfare, it is still possible and desirable to have
                    an open immigration. Immigrants do not and will not automatically become
                    citizens of the country (Ezrahim). Before that, they will have to find a
                    job, learn the local language, etc. and prove that they are capable of
                    supporting themselves. Only then can they become citizens and "enjoy" the
                    welfare services the state has to offer them.

                    In any case, denouncing open immigration because of welfare is like saying
                    drug legalization is bad because many policemen and DEA agents would be
                    fired, or that cancelling Income Tax is bad because many people working
                    for this service (and perhaps many accountants) will lose their jobs.

                    > I really wonder which option would you chose. And how would you justify it.

                    I hope you now stopped wondering. ;-)

                    Shlomi Fish

                    Home E-mail: shlomif@...

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 22, 2002
                      On Wed, 22 May 2002, Chen Shapira wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I was wondering about the purpose of the letter.
                      > Is it just a net rant? Do you plan on sending it to Sharon? Do you plan to
                      > send it to various newpapers (as customary with open letters)?

                      Perhaps.

                      > If you plan on publishing it as a serious document, and not just a random
                      > rant, it would need quite a bit of polish.
                      > I'm not sure if you are interested in "technical" points (as opposed to
                      > philosophical arguments), but I have some suggestions:
                      >
                      > 1. The Prime Minister should be addressed as Mr. Prime Minister (Adoni Rosh
                      > Hamemshala).

                      I'll address him in whatever way I see fit.

                      > 2. If you want to have a chance to change someone's opinions, you should not
                      > start by insulting them. Insults are OK for rants, but are not effective
                      > means of influencing people. This means that you should change the style of
                      > you openning paragraphs to something a bit more polite like:

                      I'm not trying to influence him, but rather some of the public at large.
                      I'd rather be sincere than polite. The purpose of this letter is to
                      criticize him, and I believe I am actually quite polite. I do not believe
                      Sharon is a good man, so I'm not addressing him in the common "polite"
                      vain.

                      > Mr. Prime Minister,
                      >
                      > My name is Shlomi Fish and I'm writing to you as a concerned citizen. I
                      > trust that you'll take my letter as seriously as I wrote it, since you are a
                      > proffessional politician for many years, and probably aware of the value of
                      > listening to the opinions of citizens.
                      >
                      > This is not an easy time to lead Israel, and I admire you for taking
                      > responsibility and leadership at such time. However, I believe that you may
                      > be causing irrepairable damage to our country, to which I'd like to turn
                      > your attention. I'm sure that after reading this letter, you'll know why I'm
                      > so concerned, and will agree that things must change.

                      If I wrote such crap, I would be lying.

                      > Etc. etc.
                      >
                      > Note that Sharon has been a politican for more than 40 years, he knows who
                      > to listen to, you don't need to explain that.
                      > Also, calling Sharon a "mystic" and a "destructor" nearly caused me to close
                      > my browser, it'll certainly cause newspaper editors and Sharon's secretary
                      > to throw it away.

                      Maybe I'll paraphrase it. But it is a fact: Sharon brought the war of
                      Lebanon onto Israel and Lebanon, and is responsible for all the casualties
                      since he was elected as prime minister. He is a mystic by any means.

                      > 3. You part about yourself is way too long. The usual length is one
                      > paragraph.

                      I'll re-write it.

                      > 4. You don't want to compare your achivements with Sharon's. Remember that
                      > in addition to being a successfull politician, he was also a farmer and runs
                      > a successfull sheep bussiness, as well as being an accomplished solider.

                      An accomplished soldier who ended his career (and from what I hear even
                      before than) with a mass murder. This puts his entire "achievements" as
                      meaningless. Check:

                      http://www.neo-tech.com/orientation/ (search for Genghis Khan)

                      Home E-mail: shlomif@...

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 23, 2002
                        On Wed, 22 May 2002, Ofir Carny wrote:

                        > Most of the problems I plan to point out can be deduced by simple application of game
                        > theory concepts, and of basic economics, which can be regarded as proof. The others
                        > may fall into the 'do not make sense' slot, but as long as no robust proof exist of
                        > your statements, they nevertheless stand. I posed my first challange in my last mail
                        > (although not robustly yet), you are invited to comment on it.
                        >
                        > BTW, I am starting to get interested in your position about democracy. And its implications
                        > on your suggestions.
                        >
                        > 2nd BTW, asking a leader to step down is not compliant with giving him suggestions for
                        > improvements.

                        My suggestions for improvement underscore how impotent he had been in
                        dealing with the current situation as he could have implemented them a
                        long time ago.