defending myself from shlomif's slander (was: The Legality of Discrimination)

  • Muli Ben-Yehuda
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2003
      Shlomi Fish excreted:

      > IBM also rejected me because my grades were not high enough, despite
      > the fact that I am considered a very good programmer,

      I find many faults in this statement. By whom are you considered a
      very good programmer, and based on what?

      > much better than most of the Technion students who do nothing but
      > study all day. Muli, OTOH, got a job at IBM because he had the right
      > connections. (his grades were not much better than mine, and he
      > eventually left the Technion)

      Shlomi,

      You want to be very very careful when you make claims like that.

      I am now working at IBM research because I have the skillset,
      qualifications and experience that they need, and you aren't working
      there because you *don't* have any of the above. For the one millionth
      time, freecell solver is not the Linux kernel.

      In my case, grades never entered the picture - as a matter of fact,
      my grade average in the Technion was probably lower than yours. Unlike
      you, I spent my time in the Technion working part time, studying part
      time, and writing free software at the rest of the time.

      I didn't get the job because I had connections! Whatever gave you that
      bizarre idea?

      > Muli is an excellent engineer. But I think I'm not a "Qotel-qinim"
      > either.

      I reject this comparison out of hand. What do you base it on? we work
      in different domains, and produce different results. Please don't ever
      compare yourself to me, until you have done some of the work that I
      do (or I do some of the work that you do).

      > If we define the suitability of the engineer as the one who'll get the
      > job done best, then I was discriminated against twice in the past
      > year.

      Based on what I've seen from you in the last few years, and on this
      specific definition - I doubt it.
      --
      Muli Ben-Yehuda
      http://www.mulix.org