52RE: My Random Ideas Page

  • Chen Shapira
    Jun 5, 2002

      IMO the second book isn't as good as the first.
      BTW. I strongly suspect that some of the stories in the first book are not
      true stories.
      One of the pocker stories looked quite similar to a story I've read by Damon
      Runyon. Perhaps the editor mixed up something in Feynmans notes?

      > 3. "The Mythical Man-Month" - I started reading it yesterday,
      > and it is
      > very interesting so far. This book has a very good reputation among
      > software engineers.

      The book has excellent reputation.
      On first read I've found it boring, but I found myself rereading many parts
      on diffrent occasions and my opinion of it improved.
      Every now and then I feel a compulsion to reproduce some of his data
      (development rate against # of team members) using data availble about
      open-source development in source-forge and likes.

      > 4. The Dragon Book - not too interesting, but quite important
      > stuff, for
      > those who actually deal in compiler theory or something similar.

      I found it pretty interesting actually, but I guess it depends on one's
      interests. For some reason, I'm interested in parsing techniques.

      Lately I'm spending more time reading on statistics, and the more I read the
      more fascinating it becomes. I sort of found myself studying statistics by
      mistake, but it is probably one of the best things that happened to me. A
      wide field on interesting studies that was completly hidden until now.
      I'm not sure how much it interests people here, but I can write a short list
      of recommended statistics books, to complement the well known CS list.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic