50Re: My Random Ideas Page

  • Nadav Har'El
    Jun 5, 2002
      On Tue, Jun 04, 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote about "My Random Ideas Page":

      > Check:
      >
      > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/philosophy/ideas/

      Hi guys - I just joined your list :)

      "Discotheques Playing Music at a Decent Volume" - what exactly does that
      have to do with philosohy? :)

      Anyway, if volume in discotehques is bothering you, try going to a concert ;)
      Barry Sacharov is one of my favorite Israeli singers, so naturally when I
      had an opportunity several months ago to a concert of his, I jumped at the
      chance. I stood right by the stage, at spitting distance from Barry and
      his band (he didn't spit, luckily, but I did get to see him sweat from up-
      close). The volume was so loud, at some points I think the speakers were
      literally shaking me. The loud volume all but destroyed the great melodies
      in his songs (which you have to listen to a studio recording to appreciate,
      I guess). But the whole thing was really exhilarating :) Sometimes the
      atmosphere is much more important than how the music sounds. After that
      concert, followed by several more hours of dancing and great dance music,
      I did notice a temporary effect on my hearing. But because I don't go to
      such places very often, I think I'm relatively safe.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Jun 5 2002, 25 Sivan 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Cement mixer collided with a prison van.