133Re: Latin [was Re: A Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Problem]

  • Nadav Har'El
    Nov 17, 2004
      On Wed, Nov 17, 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Latin [was Re: A Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Problem]":
      > > But at least the plan doesn't involved the fighting parties starting to
      > > use Linux :-)
      > >
      > > Linux vincit omnia.
      > What is "vincit omnia"? A google search turned out nothing. I love it when
      > people use Latin phrases that I don't understand. They try to sound profound
      > using a language no-one understands. It sounds just as well in English or in
      > Hebrew.

      vincit omnia means conquers, or wins over, all. The more usual saying is
      "Omnia vincit Amor", meaning "Love Conquers All".

      > For example, instead of saying "Cogito Ergo Sum" you can say "I think,
      > therefore I am". Instead of "Sic Transit Gloria Mundi", you can say "So
      > passes the Glory of the World".

      "I think therefore I am" is indeed an English saying, but "So passes
      the Glory of the World" is not (in Hebrew it is a good saying, by the
      way), and people do use the latin version. Plus, it's important to know
      what "sic" means, and what "omnia" means as well :)

      But generally, you're right. I added that pseudo-latin saying as a joke,
      not to sound profound...

      Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Nov 17 2004, 5 Kislev 5765
      Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |He who dies with the most toys is still
      http://nadav.harel.org.il |dead -- Citibank billboard, Manhattan 2001
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic