Re: No-more-songs Digest, Vol 66, Issue 10

  • George Auerbach
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2009
      I'm really glad to hear how well the Greenpeace-Amchitka CD is selling. It
      is a real collector's item as part of the history of environmental activism,
      folk music and even a bit about forgotten Canadian history.

      During Phil's set he says something to the effect of "It's not often that I
      get to sing in a police state". At first I couldn't figure out what he was
      referring to, but I then realized when this concert took place and what Phil
      was talking about.

      When I first moved up to Toronto from New York in 1970, people asked me why
      I was moving to Canada. My stock answer was when the U.S. government
      starting rounding up suspected subversive sympathizers , my friends would
      all have a safe place to stay (another reason, of course, was that I did not
      want my son-who now lives in West Virginia- and my new-born daughter-who now
      lives in Florida- to grow up in the atmosphere that pervaded the country at
      the time).

      Anyway, in the beginning of October, 1970, a cell of the FLQ (Quebec
      Liberation Front) kidnapped a British diplomat and then another cell
      kidnapped and later killed a Quebec politician). The response of the
      Canadian government under Pierre Trudeau was to invoke the War Measures Act
      and then send troops into Quebec to begin rounding up and jailing suspected
      FLQ sympathizers. This round-up began just before the Amchitka concert and
      that was what Phil was referring to.

      Needless to say, the Americans in Canada were immediately horrified at the
      actions of the Canadian government (we had expected this from the Nixons and
      Johnsons but not from Canada). Many of the Canadian liberals/left wingers
      had been true believers that Trudeau was a force for hope and real change,
      and initially supported Trudeau's actions.

      After a few months, though, more Canadians began to question the use of the
      War Measures Act against suspected sypathizers and realized that even
      charismatic politicians who promise hope and change could do really bad
      things... It's a good thing that "things like that don't happen anymore, Do
      they?" (to quote one of Phil's former friends)

      Anyway, that was the context of Phil's comments about being in a police
      state... I really had not thought about the FLQ, the Quebec Crisis or the
      War Measures Act in a long time...

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:17:47 -0500
      > From: itishig@a <itishig@aSubject>

      > Subject <itishig@aSubject>: [no-more-songs] phil sales strong!?!
      > To: no-more-songs@...
      >

      > one of canada's hottest christmas eco-gifts! uhh, ok!
      >
      > go phil!
      >

      > CD of Vancouver concert that launched Greenpeace a hot Christmas item
      >
      > Sunday, December 20th, 2009 | 9:40 am
      >
      > Canwest News Service
      >
      > VANCOUVER ? Amchitka, a live recording of the 1970 Pacific Coliseum concert
      > that launched Greenpeace, has become one of the hottest Christmas eco-
      > gifts.
      >
      > Sixties folk icon Phil Ochs, singer-songwriter James Taylor and Canadian
      > music legend Joni Mitchell performed before a crowd of about 10,000 people
      > at the Oct. 16 benefit. They raised funds to send the vessel Amchitka to
      > Alaska to try to stop a nuclear test. It was the first Greenpeace mission.
      >
      > The two-CD set features 10 songs by Mitchell, and proceeds from sales go to
      > Greenpeace. It can be ordered at Amchitka-Concert.com.
      >
      > To read more about the history of Greenpeace, read Cassidy Olivier's recent
      > feature on theprovince.com.

      > End of No-more-songs Digest, Vol 66, Issue 10
    • David W
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2009
        George,

        So you're one of the other Canadians on the geographic list? I'm the 1 in
        Alberta. Surely there's more though.

        The War Measures Act was a dark episode for Canada. I was only 3 so
        fortunately I didn't get rounded up. I was a radical little bugger though.

        In a way P.E.T. was sort of our Obama in the beginning. He did let some of
        us down but hey, compared to what we've got now he looks awful good in
        retrospect.

        I got my Amchitka CD a few days ago. Very nice. Phil stole the show in my
        opinion. Joni and J.T. were good too though.

        8>/
        David W

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2009
          Hi David-

          Where in Alberta are you? How did you get into Phil?

          I'm originally from New York and was on the fringe of the whole 60s folk
          scene in the Village at the time.

          I used to see Phil at rallies and clubs in those freewheelin' times, but
          never actually knew him... When Dylan first came to New York, all he was to
          me was my friend Suze new boyfriend...

          Phil was a sad case and it was good to hear him so upbeat on the Amchitka
          CD...

          A couple of summers ago we were out in Alberta for both the Calgary and
          Canmore Folk Festivals... They were both really great ones...

          Thanks for making contact...

          BTW, if you'd like some live Ochs shows, let me know. I'd be happy to send
          you some...

          Take care...

          George