Re: [pharmacologists] New Book Release (Elements of Pharmacovigilance) [1 Attachment]

  • Chetna Desai
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2010
      Dear Dr Sehgal
      Congrats for the publication. I would like to obtain a copy. Do i go through the pulishers or can you send in one?
      Regards
      Dr Chetna Desai

      On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:42 AM, raman sehgal <pharma1978@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from raman sehgal included below]

      Dear Researchers and Friends,

      Greetings!!

      I’ am pleased to announce the launch of my book “Elements of Pharmacovigilance”.

      With increase in number of global clinical studies being carried out, there is also a need for developing an equally efficient, vibrant and strong pharmacovigilance system.

      Research estimates show that between 7% and 10% of patients in acute care settings experience an adverse drug event of which some 28-56% are preventable. Hospital admissions due to adverse drug reactions may be more than 10% of total admissions in some countries. Thus, patient safety is a global public health problem and affects countries at all levels of development.

      After Rofecoxib and other recent high profile drug withdrawals, there is an elevated public concern regarding drug safety post marketing. Thus, pharmacovigilance is becoming ever more critical for multinational pharmaceutical companies and pharmacovigilance risk management is fast gaining increased importance in global drug development.

      The book has some key contributions from national / international experts who have an excellent standing within the pharmacovigilance community. The book includes the latest theoretical and practical aspects of pharmacovigilance and provides an exemplary coverage of all the relevant issues on drug safety. It was an honor and a great privilege for me to have book foreword from Dr. Mansoor Khan (Director, Division of Product Quality Research, Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research, USFDA) and Mr. Kapil Bhargava (Ex-Deputy Drugs Controller, India) amongst other noted personalities.

      One of the major reasons for substantial under reporting of spontaneous adverse event was non availability of good reference. The book gives a comprehensive view on various aspects of pharmacovigilance. Newer perspectives like pharmacovigilance in Unani medicine, dental products, over the counter (OTC) drugs, biologicals like vaccines and the current scenario of herbal drug safety are discussed in detail. Various important topics like role of information technology in drug safety, safe blood transfusion and biostatistics have also been incorporated. I am confident that the book will definitely serve a comprehensive guide for all health care professionals involved in drug development, clinical researchers, drug safety associates, academicians and regulators and will be well received amongst the research / academic fraternity.

      The main aim of this publication is to address the complex issue of drug safety and to create awareness amongst various key stakeholders - policy makers, academicians, researchers involved in drug development on an important topic which is still considered to be in its infancy especially in India.

      I request you to kindly pass on the information about the release of this book to all your associates / prospective readers.

      I look forward for your continued support. I request you to go through the attached leaflet for more information.

      Sincerely,

      Raman Sehgal

      New Delhi, India

      http://www.kppub.com/pharmacovigilence.htm

      The book is Co-authored by Dr Rajat Sethi (Texas, USA) and Dr Shobha Rani Hiremath (Bangalore, India)

      Dream; because, dreams lead to thoughts; Thoughts lead to action, and Action leads to achievement

      --
      Dr Chetna Desai
      Professor

      Visit