A.P. Bentley prayed for condemned man before execution

  • beesther@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2011
      Bentley prayed for condemned man before execution
      San Antonio Express
      "It's not something I took lightly. I am the governor and I swore to uphold the laws of Alabama," Bentley said. He said the death penalty is one of those laws. Bentley said he and his staff reviewed Boyd's appeals over the past 25 years. ...
      I am the governor and I swore to uphold the laws of Alabama.

      1) The laws of Alabama also give the governor the right to grant clemency. Why not use it?

      2) Does an oath taken, in this case the Hippocratic oath to do no harm taken by Dr. Bentley on becoming a physician, become invalid when another oath is taken?

      3) When slavery was the law in Alabama was the governor morally justified in upholding it?

        Esther