*PowerPoint* on CAM

  • Eric Hamell
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 8:54 PM
      Hi folks,

      Sunday night at 10, the second hour of *PowerPoint* (on 90.9fm) will be on
      "alternative and complementary medicine" and the view of physicians' groups
      thereon.

      Eric K. overstates a bit that St. John's wort was found to be "of little
      value." According to the story in *Science News*, it "doesn't help people
      with moderate or severe forms of depression, concludes the team of
      scientists that conducted the study," but the study leader says "the jury's
      still out" on its effectiveness for mild depression. Another biologist is
      quoted as calling this a "window of opportunity where it looks like it's
      effective," suggesting the view that mild depression, if left untreated, can
      snowball into something more serious (as also suggested by a study on
      pessimistic ruminaton in which I happen to have been a subject some years
      ago). Since mild depression is a widely experienced complaint, this would be
      of considerable value.

      Eric Hamell