PhACT meeting Feb 20th

  • Eric Krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 1999
      Dear PhACT members and sympathizers,

      The next meeting at the Bucks county library Feb. 20th 2 pm is this lecture :

      "How do you know that's impossible?" by Walter Cuirle

      Some things we dismiss as impossible because of
      our experience, and we call that common sense.
      Other things we dismiss because of logic, and we
      call that mathematics. But sometimes that system of
      experience and mathematics we call science will
      dismiss something as impossible in a way that seems
      completely at odds with both logic and common
      sense. How can that be? How do we "know" that's
      impossible?

      Walter Cuirle is a physicist and writer. He was an
      op-ed columnist for ComputerWorld and other
      magazines, back in the period between IBM and
      Microsoft when there was some point in expressing
      an opinion. His science writing has appeared here
      and there in less quantity that he would like, and his
      science fiction has appeared in Analog at greater
      length than he ever expected. He teaches physics
      at St. Joseph's, Philadelphia's Jesuit University.

      Saturday, February, 20th 2:00 pm
      --
      Tom Napier and I were briefly shown on a NYC FOX investigative news expose.

      Also, If anyone wants to donate a over head projector to the library on behalf
      of PhACT - that would make things easier on our speakers. We have had many
      members donate neat stuff already.

      Also, according to the Fortean Times the world is 4% weirder this year than
      last year. - draw your own conclusions there.

      You can see yours truly as "Mr. August" in a cheap promotion at:
      http://www.gebesse.com.au/studmuffins/contents.htm

      Most warnings about computer viruses are hoaxes that have metastasized
      into chain letters. However, If you have ever been emailed and executed
      happy99.exe - your computer is infected and could be spreading itself to
      people you email. You can get fixed up from:
      http://www.pspl.com/trojan_info/win32/happy99.htm

      --
      sincerely,

      Eric Krieg

      http://www.phact.org/phact/
      eric@... fax (215) 654-0651

      PS: I close with a complimentary copy of the most recent BUFO email update:

      Bufo Calvin
      P O Box 5231, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
      Internet: BufoCalvin@...
      Website: <A
      HREF="http://members.aol.com/bufocalvin">http://members.aol.com/bufocalvin</a>
      <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/bufosweirdworld">
      Link to Amazon.com</a>
      ALL RIGHTS RESERVED (permission is granted to reproduce or redistribute this
      edition of Bufo's WEIRD WORLD
      provided that attribution is made to http://members.aol.com/bufocalvin. It is
      good etiquette to check with
      strangers before you e-mail them something. If you forward this, please make
      sure it is clear that you are
      forwarding it).

      February 14, 1999

      Happy Valentine's Day! Due to the holiday, this one may be a bit sparse.
      While my wife supports the time I spend at the computer, I don't think it's
      very romantic ;) . I may try and add some later.

      This is the week CONFIRMATION: THE HARD EVIDENCE OF ALIENS AMONG US? on NBC.
      As I mentioned last time, this is one of the more significant television
      broadcasts on weird topics. One unusual element is that Whitley Strieber
      (author of
      <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312967047/bufosweirdworld">
      Confirmation (paperback)</A>, on which it is based) is a co-Executive Producer
      of the special. I have heard many times that people have felt manipulated by
      the Producers of shows...for example, author Budd Hopkins in Nova's KIDNAPPED
      BY UFOS? ((
      <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6303996043/bufosweirdworld">
      NOVA: Kidnapped by UFOs? (video)</A>). It seems less likely in this case.
      Hopkins and John Mack are both scheduled to appear in the special. Other
      highlights include: The Tremble County Disturbance (1993 Ohio: several police
      officers see a UFO. Audio from the time is played, and one officer is
      interviewed); UFO Evidence (films and photos, include the McMinville Trent
      still shots); The Jesse Long Story (an L.A. abductee); The Black Vault story
      (heavy-duty conspiracy website (<A HREF="http://www.blackvault.com/">
      http://www.blackvault.com/</A>); and Streiber himself. For more information,
      see the NBC press release at
      <A HREF="http://www.nbc.com/tvcentral/mms/frpv_specials.html">NBC Specials:
      Confirmation</A>.

      Tomorrow, the fifteenth, is the deadline for me for Bufo's WEIRD WORLD Watch
      (tentative title) for the April issue of FATE. If you'd like to send me any
      weird reports, I'd appreciate it. Everything has to have a citable source.
      It's a great way to direct people to your website, if I use it. E-mail me for
      more information.

      On to the listings: Times are generally Pacific.

      TELEVISION

      A&E
      Sunday, February 14, 3:00 PM, THE UNEXPLAINED: HAUNTINGS

      THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL

      Sunday, February 14, 12:30, ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE, STRANGE
      POWERS OF ANIMALS

      THE LEARNING CHANNEL

      NBC
      Wednesday, February 17, 8:00 PM, CONFIRMATION: THE HARD EVIDENCE OF ALIENS
      AMONG US?

      THE SCIENCE CHANNEL

      The new schedule (since December 28, 1998) is weird programming for an hour
      each at 3:00 AM, 11:00 AM,and 7:00 PM. Alternating shows are: INTO THE UNKNOWN
      and ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE. They also run a Roswell show now
      every other week (it's probably the same show every time) at 4:00 AM and noon
      on Sundays.

      THE SCI-FI CHANNEL

      Tuesday, February 16, 11:00 AM, SIGHTINGS: EPISODE #4031 (multi-generational
      alien contact; Bigfoot museum; faith healer; Peru)
      Wednesday, February 17, 11:00 AM SIGHTINGS, EPISODE #4032: (Georgia UFO;
      psychic cop; haunting)
      Thursday, February 18, 11:00 AM SIGHTINGS: EPISODE #4033 (Oregon ghost train;
      alien autopsy; Tesla)
      Friday, February 19, 11:00 AM SIGHTINGS: EPISODE #4034 (jetliner and UFO;
      Nostradamus)

      Bufo's WEIRD WORLD Media Alert the same way. Also, please let me know if
      there is something in the media you think I should cover. Deadline is Tuesday,
      the week before.