PhACT meeting January 21 2pm - Also, need for donations to get Randi in May

  • Eric Krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2012

      Hello everyone,

         Our next meeting deals with the profusion of confusion with fusion:

      Saturday, January 21, 2012 - New Developments in Cold Fusion

      Hydrogen fusion keeps the Sun and stars burning and powers our most deadly weapons. Fusion energy, if we could find a way to release it on a small scale, would supply mankind's requirements for millions of years. But, despite the expenditure of billions of dollars, controllable fusion remains a dream --- except in the minds of a few isolated experimenters and their ardent fans. In this talk Tom Napier explains why physicists are skeptical of "cold fusion" and questions whether two old guys in Bologna can put the oil companies out of business before the end of 2012.

      Tom Napier trained as a physicist in Scotland. He has worked for an English university and two European research organizations. He moved to the USA in 1981 where he developed equipment for scientific research and spacecraft communications. He has been a free-lance writer since 1996 and a member of the Council of PhACT since its foundation in 1994.
      C2-28 Lecture Room in the Center for Business and Industry at the corner of 18th and Callowhill

        This is also a time to VOTE for JAMES RANDI - yes, you can vote for him to come here to the "Birth Place For Freedom" April 28th by donating towards this.  We have a matching fund set up - but unless the donations really start coming in, we will have to pass on this.  Email me back a pledge towards our matching fund to make this happen.  We got hundreds of people last year to hear Judge Jones of the Dover case.   Please help us get the greatest living skeptic for a long overdue visit here.  We could use a volunteer to try to get local colleges to cut our expenses by hosting him the day before.

      February 18th, we will have Drexel Professor Stacy Ake speak on "Bioethics and the evolution of consciousness"

      Doreva set up a Twitter account for PhACT.    DirectURL:  https://twitter.com/Phila_PHACT

      Be sure to "like" our facebook page at

      http://www.facebook.com/pages/PhACT-Philadelphia-Association-for-Critical-Thinking/247965941906177

      This year is bigger than usual for end of the world people coming out of the woodwork.  The soonest specific date I know of is the rapture and possibly destruction of much of the world to occur on the 28th - see:
      http://raptureintheairnow.com/pre-tribulation-rapture/january-28-and-daniel-924
      and a more rational (if not so unintentionally-entertaining) response to some end of the worlders at:
      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/091106-2012-end-of-world-myths.html

      best wishes,

      Eric Krieg

      www.phact.org