PhaCT Feb 19th "Abusive Cults", March 19th "Disasters: Geology vs Hollywood"

  • eric krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2011

      Please remember, Feb 19th at 2pm in room S2-3 of the Winnet Student Life building with:David Clark who will speak on Abusive Cults

      David Clark is a thought reform consultant from Philadelphia who has been active in this field for more than 25 years. He was a contributing author for the book, Recovery from Cults. In 1985 he received the Hall of Fame Award from the "original" Cult Awareness Network He was a founding member of the "original" Focus and reFOCUS, a national support network for former cult members. He has been a national and international conference speaker on the topic of cults and has been interviewed by newspapers, radio, and TV stations on the topic of mind control and cults for over two decades. Mr. Clark also contributed to a May 16, 2006 History Channel special on Opus Dei and was featured in John Allen's important book, Opus Dei: An Objective Look Behind the Myths and Reality of the Most Controversial Force in the Catholic Church. In 2010 David Clark was featured as an international cult expert at the Shenzhen International Symposium on Cultic Studies in China.

      The Winnet building is on 17th just up hill from the college parking garage.  See interactive map:

      Then on March19th we will have Temple professor Jonathan Nyquist.  He will speak on "Disasters: Geology vs. Hollywood"  He holds the Week's chair in Environmental Geology at Temple University.   .  He uses movies as the cornerstone of his general education course, “Disasters: Geology vs. Hollywood,”  to teach science to non-science students. For developing the course, Nyquist,  was honored with an inaugural Provost’s Award for Innovative Teaching in General Education. Nyquist began his career at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in the Health Sciences Division in 1986. His research emphasized the use of aerial geophysical techniques to characterize land areas, help make land-use decisions and support environmental restoration programs.  Nyquist was active in developing techniques to use remotely piloted airplanes to carry new types of geophysical sensors.  He has been president of the Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Sociey. He obtained his bachelor's and master's degrees in physics from Macalester College, St. Paul, Minn., and the University of Maryland, respectively, and his doctorate in geophysics at the University of Wisconsin.  He holds a PhD in Geophysics from the University of Wisconsin.  Nyquist is active in the National Groundwater Association, the International Association of Mathematical Geologists, the Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International and several geophysical societies.

      We expect to get a significant speaker 2pm April 23rd in
      the Great Hall of the Winnet Student Life Building. - This would be part of the Science Festival Week

      Our annual banquet will be noon May 21 again at the Sorella Rose in Flourtown Pa.  According to the website, http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/ the rapture is to occur on that day - which is a testable claim that we can investigate together - our speaker will be Tom Beebee   who will appropriately speak on "The Long Awaited Apocalypse"
      Tom is author of the book "
      Millennial Literatures of the Americas"Tom is a Professor of Comparative Literature & German at the Pennsylvania State University. His publications include Clarissa on the Continent, The Ideology of Genre, Epistolary Fiction in Europe , and Geographies of Nation and Region in Modern Fiction.  We will have information out on the cost and where to send the money.  If this day is in fact the start of the end of the world, then we can't promise refunds.
       Feel free to participate on our PhACT Discussion Board

      We are interested in ideas and volunteers to help us participate in the Philadelphia Science Festival held April 16th on the parkway.  Also, please let me know if anyone can help board member Dr David Langdon judge which student gets the PhACT Critical Thinking prize at the March 7th George Washington Carver Science Fair at Temple University.  Also, Tom Napier and I would be happy to get help judging for a PhACT prize for the Bucks County Science Fair March 15th.

      Hope you can make some of our events for this season,
      Eric Krieg