PhACT lecture from Bob Park - author of "Superstition" Nov 21 2pm

  • eric krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2009
      People,

          We are lucky to have the former president of the American Physical Society, skeptic, author and big time Science advocate, Robert Park return to visit us 2pm Saturday November 21st.  He will talk on the subject of his new book "Superstition".   Bob is a role model of mine, a Korean war veteran, a runner, a source for the media, a free energy debunker, the editor of the email list "What's New?", a university professor, a science researcher and the author of the best seller, "Voodoo Science - the road from foolishness to fraud".  His talk will include subjects including evolution, homeopathy, quantum physics, parapsychology, and belief.

         Über Skeptic, Michael Shermer writes of Park's book: "If a tree falls on a scientist in a forest with no one else around does it mean he won't make a sound?  Not if that scientist is the indomitable Bob Park, the skeptic's skeptic, the Ralph Nader of nonsense, the man who rose from the nearly dead to pen this uncompromising critique of superstition and the beliefs that follow once you abandon science and reason.  Read this book now."     We will not just hear about his book, I will make sure to have a few on sale for purchase for signing at the end of the talk.   This is a good lecture to bring friends to.
      Lectures are now in the C2-28 Lecture Room  in the Center for Business and Industry at the northeast corner of 18th and Callowhill streets on the Philadelphia Community College's Main Campus.

         We are off for December, but on January 16th, we have a lecture based on the book   Orbs or Dust? A Practical Guide to False-Positives by Kenneth Biddle.   Although Ken believes some ghost sightings are real, he conceeds the majority are just people being misled and has a book about the subject of mistaken ghost evidence and sightings.   The following is a book review by Benjamin Radford - a former PhACT speaker and the Managing Editor of Skeptical Inquirer:

      "I have to say, I liked it a lot. It was refreshingly skeptical and shows a level of scientific methodology and critical thinking rare in ghost hunter circles. It should be required reading for anyone interested in ghosts; both novice and veteran ghost hunters will save themselves a lot of time chasing wild geese if they read and understand what you
      have to say."

        hope to see you there,
      Eric Krieg