PhACT meeting Sept 19th 2009 2pm Science Pseudoscience and the Law at 18th and Callowhill.

  • eric krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2009
      People,

         Note a changed meeting location while renovations are active in 2009, this place is down the hill a block and just west of our last location.  We will be 2pm in the C2-28 Lecture Room at the Community College of Philadelphia . This room is in the Center for Business and Industry at the corner of 18th and Callowhill streets on the College's Main Campus. We do have to pay I think 3$ to park inside the parking garage off 19th street now. After you enter the building, take the stairs to the right to the second floor. When you get to the second floor, the lecture room is in front of you on the right.

      Saturday September 19, 2009 - Science, Pseudoscience, and the Law

      Professor Lewis Mifsud will lecture and have a Q & A session about the Legal Authentication of Scientific Evidence. Dr. Mifsud will initiate his presentation by providing the meaning of each key term which appears in his presentation's title. Following a brief background of previous legal criteria toward evaluating evidence, the presentation will denote and detail the criteria first introduced as a result of the 1993 by a U.S. Supreme court case, which presently needs to be met prior to a Federal Court accepting evidence proffered to be scientific. Time permitting, the speaker will conclude with an example explaining a "Daubert Challenge", in which one litigant contests the scientific value of the evidence proffered by the opposing party.

      About Dr. Lewis Mifsud

                  Following 19 years of full time product design and development employment in the electronic, electrical and mechanical design and telecommunications manufacturing industry, Dr. Mifsud taught physics and engineering for a period of 18 years at the Pennsylvania State University, where he held the position of a full-time tenured physics professor.  Regarding special training and on-the-job experience in PRODUCT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE and PERSONAL INJURY cases, Dr. Mifsud has attended hundreds of hours of forensic seminars and he personally conducted more than 580 investigations which involved fire, explosions, lightening, electrocutions, electrical, and mechanical problems.  During the past 27 years, Dr. Mifsud has been accepted as testifying expert in Federal and State Courts and Arbitration hearings under the following titles: Fire and Explosion Origin and Cause Expert, Physicist, Electrical Engineer, Electronics Engineer and Mechanical Engineering Physicist, also as an Expert Design and Codes and the Evaluation of Product and Process Warnings, Building Construction Physics, Vehicular Accidents Physics and the Physics of Fire Protection Devices.
                  Dr. Mifsud is a full member of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences and regularly assists a Judge, in Philadelphia

      Saturday, October 17, 2009 - The Large Hadron Collider

      Dr. Paul Halpern, a physicist and author at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, will discuss his book Collider: The Search for the World�s Smallest Particles. It is about the Large Hadron Collider (and other colliders), what scientists hope to find, and the fear that colliders might produce black holes or other objects able to destroy the world.

      Saturday, November 21, 2009 - Robert Park

      Dr. Robert L. Park, professor of physics at the University of Maryland and author of Superstition: Belief in the Age of Science, will be our speaker. Dr. Park will discuss his book and anything else that may be on his mind.

      We are making another effort to get volunteers to fund Joe Nickell to fly out here next year to speak to us and join us on an investigation of areas said to be inhabited by the Jersey Devil.  Let me know if you are open to helping make that happen.

      Eric Krieg