FW: Drinking Skeptically - PHILADELPHIA!

  • erickrieg@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2008
      People,

          I have talked to world famous paranormal investigator, Joe Nickell.  He would be willing to speak to us in Spring of 2009 if we could cover his travel expenses and offer some help investigating the Jersey Devil for an upcoming book.  If someone could volunteer to cover that, we could make it happen.

          Phact's  meetings are more formal and educational.   I got the following invitation I'll try to take up this Thursday for a different kind of format for a skeptics gathering:

      Mr. Krieg,
      I am starting a Philadelphia chapter of Drinking Skeptically( http://www.drinkingskeptically.org).  I've set up a Facebook group for our chapter as well( http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43757950375) . If you could post the info on your website or newsletter I'd appreciate it. I've made a flyer as well( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/fatewilleatyou/skepticflyer.jpg). If your interested in cosponsoring the event, I'd be interested in discussing it. I'll put up the DSPhilly info at the end.
      Any help or advice that you'd be willing to offer, to help make this event great, would be appreciated.
      Looking for ward to hearing from you,
      Salvatore Patrone

      Drinking Skeptically Philadelphia will meet each 3rd Thursday at:
      Tattooed Mom's (a.k.a T-Mom's, NOT Sugarmom's)
      530 South St
      Philadelphia, PA 19147

      Specials:
      $3 burgers (beef, veggie, or vegan)
      $1.50 PBR till 10pm
      $1 Lionshead from 10 - 12

       Lastly,   Our next meeting at the college is:

      Saturday, January 17, 2009 2pm  - In Search of Time by Dan Falk:

      Time is at once intimately familiar and yet deeply mysterious. It is thoroughly intangible: we say it flows like a river -- yet when we try to examine that flow, the river seems reduced to a mirage. No wonder philosophers, poets, and scientists from Aristotle to Einstein have grappled with the enigma of time for centuries.
      The mystery of time has captivated science journalist Dan Falk, who sets off on an intellectual journey in his latest book, "In Search of Time: The Science of a Curious Dimension" (St. Martin�s Press, November 2008). In this illustrated talk, Dan will discuss some of the most intriguing aspects of time: how our ancestors first learned to measure it, how we suspect it -- and the universe -- began, what the "end of time" may hold for us, and a brief look at the physics of time travel and the paradoxes it seems to entail.

      Dan Falk has written about science for the Globe and Mail, the Toronto Star, The Boston Globe, The Walrus, SkyNews, Astronomy, Sky and Telescope, and New Scientist, and has been a regular contributor to the Canadian radio programs "Ideas" and "Quirks and Quarks" on the CBC radio network. His awards include a Gold Medal for Radio Programming from the New York Festivals and the Science Writing Award in Physics and Astronomy from the American Institute of Physics. His first book, "Universe on a T-Shirt", won the 2002 Science in Society Journalism Award from the Canadian Science Writers' Association. He lives in Toronto.

      We expect to conclude with a book signing of his coming new book.