PhACT picnic this Saturday again at Upper Dublin's Mondauk Common Park

  • erickrieg@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2008
      People,

        a few announcements:  Local TV station, WYBE has been airing a 5 minute presentation I did on organized skepticism at
      http://www.mindtv.org/cgi-bin/display_asset.fcg?member_id=1776;ordinal=29;file=vodind.ttml;style=mind
      and also on critical thinking at
      http://www.mindtv.org/cgi-bin/display_asset.fcg?member_id=1776;ordinal=28;file=vodind.ttml;style=mind

      Faye Flam, who represented printed media during our last media panel discussion has a great new book out that summarizes much of the science of sex, which she explored in her Inquirer series, "Carnal Knowledge".  Her new book is called "The Score  -  How The Quest For Sex Has Shaped The Modern Man".   You can check out her website which promotes the book at:
      http://www.fayeflam.com/

      July 13th 2008 PhACT Picnic. Noon at Mondauk Common Park
         This is about our 10th year of having some kind of picnic; we always have fun visiting, eatting and playing sports.  Bring your own food, you can cook on the grill.  We have reserved the pavilion in the woods on the Southeast corner of Mondauk Common park in Upper Dublin.  You can get there by going up the trail from the smaller wooded parking lot off Broad Street.  Broad street runs between Susquehanna and Limekiln roads and is found on the attached map.  Call my cell if you get lost at (215) 646-3553

      September 20 th 2pm April 19 th 2008 Innumeracy – Math in Society by John Allen Paulos

      John has been a major source of  mathematical input to the media for years and has written books including Irreligion, Innumeracy, A Mathematician Plays The Stock Market, Beyond Numeracy, A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper, Once Upon A Number, and I Think Therefore I Laugh.  You can see more information on John's writings at http://www.math. temple.edu/ ~paulos/Note, this is back at our Philadelphia Community College location.

        We are looking for ideas on how to better promote PhACT and looking for help with things like getting speakers and adding to our web pages.

      Eric Krieg