PhACT February 17th 2pm - Global Warming

  • Eric Krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2007

      People,

         We have a good oppotunity to hear from a leading climatologist on the subject of global warming Saturday Feb 17th - this is the science that is hot lately.  ;)

      February 17 2007 Global Warming and Projections of Future Climate Change

      by Tom Delworth

      Global Warming and Projections of Future Climate Change

         As the Earth continues to warm there is accelerating interest
      in the topic of Global Warming. In this talk Tom will first summarize
      the physical basis underlying global warming, including the tools
      used to study the topic. Next we will examine the observational
      evidence supporting the conclusion that the Earth is warming in response
      to increasing greenhouse gases. This includes evidence both from the
      modern instrumental era and paleoclimate records (such as ice cores).
      Finally, we will examine a synthesis of projections of future climate
      change and their impacts, including estimates of uncertainty. Associated
      with this will be a discussion of key highlights from the recently
      released report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

      Biographical sketch
         Dr. Thomas Delworth is leader of the Climate Dynamics
      and Prediction Group at the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
      Laboratory (GFDL) in Princeton, New Jersy, where he
      has been a research scientist since 1984. GFDL is
      is one of the world's leading climate modeling centers,
      and is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

      In other news, our March speaker is on the subject of vaccine safety:

      March 17 2007 Vaccine Safety: Science, Politics and the Media. by Paul A. Offit, MD

      On Saturday,  April 21, 2007, PhACT will honor Dr. Ted Daeschler at a luncheon buffet at The Pike Restaurant in Spring House, PA  on the East side of Bethlehem Pike.   At 12:30 to 2:30 PM.

      Dr Daeschler, a scientist at the Academy of Natural Sciences, and his team explored portions of remote Ellsmere Island in northern Canada and discovered “Tiktaalik”, a transition species that is new to science bridging the gap between fish and air breathing land animals.    This event will be an opportunity to  hear from and informally meet, a scientist whose discovery has had a great impact in the field of evolutionary biology.

      Reserve a place for yourself and bring a friend too.       The cost for this event is only $20 for adults, $12.50 for children and students.      Send reservations and checks care of Ray Haupt to:   PhACT, 639 W. Ellet Street, Philadelphia, PA 19119.

      speaking of Ted, he will appear for a free event for the Darwin Day event Sunday Feb 11 from 1 - 5 at the U of P Museum of : Archaeology and  Anthropology
      http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/article.php?id=1072

      This event will feature short teach-in talks, a Science Cafe discussion
      forum and a physical anthropologist's corner with plaster casts of
      hominid skulls and other bones.  An actor will protray Charles Darwin
      and there will be a film, an ongoing children's workshop, and birthday cake

      as a final note, there is an interesting article series questioning some common thinking about global warming at:
      http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=17fad0e2-6f6b-41f3-bdd8-8e9eeb015777&k=0

      Eric Krieg