PhACT Jan 20th lecture from ACLU concerning defending liberties like free speech

  • Eric Krieg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2007
      Happy new year - apparently predictions of worldwide disaster for last year didn't pan out so well.

      There was a good doonesbury cartoon about political interference with science at:
      http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html?uc_full_date=20070114

      Please remember this Saturday at 2pm at the Community College of Philadelphia, is the first Phact lecture of the year:
      Our January 20 2007 meeting will have a quick recap by me about failed legal efforts to shut down some of my skeptical web pages. But our main speaker is  ACLU chapter board member,  Bill Ewing, who will speak on issues of free speech.

      Bill's current activities include membership on the Boards of Directors of the Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia , the Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition, the Greater Philadelphia Branch of the American Civil Liberties Union and the Mt. Airy Community Services Corporation.

         Our constitution limits majority power with the bill of rights and 13th, 14th, 15th and 19th amendments.  The American Civil Liberties Union is committed to preserving these rights, especially freedom of speech, freedom of the press, separation of church and state, equal protection under the law, right to due process and right to privacy.  The ACLU was founded in 1920 is nonprofit and nonpartisan, has half a million members and handles around 6000 court cases yearly. Directions are found at:
       http://www.phact.org/images/map2.gif

      February 17 2007 we will have Tom Delworth speak on Global Warming

      March 17 2007 Vaccine Safety: Science, Politics and the Media. by Paul A. Offit, MD who is the Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

      In other news, we are looking to get more local submissions for PhACTUM - articles or even regular columns are great - send to our tireless editor, Ray Haupt at reh215@...       We would like to get more donation money - donations can be earmarked for good causes like -Not having to raise our membership/subscription rate from our low $15 per person year or awards for the media or science promotion   - or  speaker travel expenses (or even towards being able to pay to get a specific speaker)

      We could also use a volunteer to help with our web pages.

      In other news, Eric Hamell is changing his email address to stripey7@... and his blog is found at : http://stripey7.blogspot.com