PhACT season starting up - Lecture on Da Vinci code Sept 17th 2pm

  • erickrieg@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2005
      People,

      As there is still need for more rationality in the world, we are starting another season. Grab that calendar. OK, now block out Sept 17, Oct 15 and Nov 19. Saturday September 17, we have Joe Szimhart speaking about that irritating best seller, The Da Vinci Code. This is a chance to learn a little real history while seeing the bottom fall out of another multi-generational conspiracy theory. Joe has spoken for PhACT in the past and has done a lot of good work raising awareness about destructive cults.
      http://www.culticstudiesreview.org/csr_bkreviews/bkrev_davincicode.htm

      Then, Oct 15, we have a chance to hear about Bio Ethics and Human Consciousness from local Drexel professor, Stacy Ake.
      http://www.meta-library.net/bio/ake-body.html

      November 21, we will hear from the controversial prolific author, Charles Eisenstein. He teaches in the Department of Science, Technology, and Society at Penn State University. A sampling of some of his contrarian (sometimes fringe) writings are found at:
      http://www.yogaofeating.com/writings.html

      We also plan to have another winter solstice party either Dec 21st or possibly the Saturday before - depends on any possible volunteers to host it.

      In other news, our Phactum editor, Greg Lester is trying to get out the latest issue (give him a break for being behind, he's a new dad). We had about a dozen people out for the June picnic at Ringing Rocks in Bucks County - then in an amazing coincidence last month, a production company for a Discovery Channel travel show started an episode including Ringing Rocks. They videoed me for a few hours talking about alleged paranormal activity there.

      Another point for the importance of science: There was a prescient 2001 Scientific American article on how New Orleans is a disaster waiting to happen, why the city is sinking, and how the Levees have contributed to the daily loss of acres of protective delta:

      http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=00060286-CB58-1315-8B5883414B7F0000
      We are hoping to line up a speaker in the future to talk about relative risks (even possibly nuclear ones) to our way of life.

      Eric Krieg