Re: PhACT - starting another season

  • Eric Hamell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
      Eric,

      I'm very pleased to see you're trying to secure an urban location for future
      meetings. There are several advantages to such a move:

      1) It's generally easier for people from the suburbs to get to an urban
      location than vice versa, especially since many urban people don't have
      cars.

      2) On average, science education is poorer in urban than suburban schools,
      and so there's a greater need here for a skeptics' group with accessible
      meetings.

      3) From a consumer protection standpoint urban areas also have larger
      concentrations of those who can least afford to be taken in by frauds and
      scams, and so again have the greatest use for education in critical thinkng.

      For the same reason, while I think it's great CSICOP has started a Young
      Skeptics program, I hope it doesn't remain exclusively online, since many
      urban (as well as rural) children still have no internet access.

      Eric Hamell