Phact - meeting coming up May 19th

  • eric krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2001
      Remember: May 19th, 2 PM our next function:

      Our speaker will be local professor and author Paul Halpern.
      Paul has written books which cover cool subjects like
      apocalypses, alien planets, prediction, evolution, space
      travel, worm holes, etc. His topic will be "Scientific
      prediction vs. pseudoscientific 'prophecy'"

      TALK SUMMARY:

      "The Astrolabe and the Oracle:
      Scientific Prediction versus
      Supernatural 'Prophecy.'"

      Throughout history, information about the future has been a
      precious commodity. This talk will offer an overview of
      humanity's varied attempts to understand its destiny, both
      through scientific and pseudoscientific
      means. How much might we know about the world of
      tomorrow? What does science tell us about the limits of
      prediction? Why has supernatural"prophecy" attracted so
      many adherents throughout the ages? Based on his new
      book, "The Pursuit of Destiny: A History of Prediction,"
      Paul Halpern will address these questions and more.

      BIO: PAUL HALPERN

      Paul Halpern, Professor of Physics at the University of
      the Sciences in Philadelphia, is the author of seven
      widely acclaimed popular science books including The
      Pursuit of Destiny: A History of Prediction,
      Countdown to Apocalypse: A Scientific Exploration of
      the End of the World, and The Quest for Alien Planets:
      Exploring Worlds Outside the Solar System.
      Halpern has appeared on many television and radio
      shows, including Future Quest and Radio Times. A
      Fulbright Scholar and recipient of the Athenaeum
      Society Literary Award, he has published numerous
      research articles in the fields of general relativity,
      cosmology, chaos theory, and complexity.

      More information about him is found at:
      http://www.usip.edu/mpcs/halpern/

      All our meetings will be the 3rd Saturday of each month:

      Then our final event for season, we have a picnic (bring your own food) June
      9th in Upper Dublin Mondauk Park from 3 to 8. After that, we won't hold a
      meeting till Sept 15th.

      Our web discussion board has been teeming with activity lately:
      http://network54.com/Forum/106498

      People with web pages should make sure to include a link to the Phact page at:
      http://www.phact.org/phact
      (It is also a good url to plug when writing letters to an editor in response to
      credulous stories.)

      Eric Krieg