Re: Philippine 3G?

  • Orlando Andico
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 29, 2005
      --- In ph-mobileapps@yahoogroups.com, Miguel A Paraz <mparaz@g...> wrote:

      > On 12/29/05, Orlando Andico <orly_andico@y...> wrote:
      > > i believe this is what migs tried...
      >
      > aye. get it working and you'll have ebooks (romansa novels for PhP 25
      > per chapter? hehe), RSS readers, rich email to MMS, etc. etc.

      hmmm. now that's an idea!

      romansa novels go for 50 pesos for the WHOLE THING though. and the
      writers get paid like 10,000 per book [well this was in 1992, one of
      my HS teachers in PhilSci was also a trashy romansa fiction writer] ?

      so i think 25/chapter is steep. and the technology is primitive (what
      a tiny screen you've got there, gramma!)

      OTOH that means most any CP can afford to pay off a romansa writer to
      get exclusive rights to their boilerplate trashy fiction.. (at 10,000
      per book it's a steal!)
    • Mike Mapa
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 6, 2006
        I'm not sure it's "the way the music industry works" that will prevent it
        from happening. After all, they'd only be too happy to be able to charge for
        MP3s instead of losing them to peer-to-peer sharing. I think the biggest
        obstacle to MP3 downloads over 3G is the simple fact that there are lotsa
        ways to get free MP3s and it's easy to get them onto any of the newer
        phones.

        The only way you will get people to pay is to make it SUPER EASY to download
        the MP3s (yes, like iTunes does). Subscription may be a good start, but to
        really drive the revenue: (1) make it easy to find practically any popular
        song, and (2) make it easy to download directly to the phone. Do that and
        the case for MP3 downloads will be compelling (i.e., no need to do a
        hit-or-miss search with LimeWire or rip from CDs then transfer to the phone
        via cable, card, etc.--HASSLE-FREE MUSIC is what I'm talking about).