Re: [pgh-music-history] Fw: Old Photo

  • Hugh Esten
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
      I'm pretty sure about Phase, 'cause I remember the conga line and Fripp sitting a the bar.

      I think you're right about Dawn. I can't remember the woman in front. Anyone?

      Hugh

      On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:41 AM, Erik Bauer wrote:

      Hugh,

      That's not Phase III is it?  I was only at The Phase once (John Cale in '79), and I don't remember it looking like that.  It's not The Decade either.  They didn't have the booths that Barney' leaning on, or am I wrong, and it's the backroom of The Decade?.

      Is that Dawn Speer holding Joe's shoulders, and who is the woman in the right front?

      Thanks,

      Erik

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
        Definitely phase

        cool pic though

        love the skinny tie, I think I still have one......

        --- In pgh-music-history@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Esten <hughesten@...> wrote:

        > I'm pretty sure about Phase, 'cause I remember the conga line and
        > Fripp sitting a the bar.
        >
        > I think you're right about Dawn. I can't remember the woman in front.
        > Anyone?
        >
        > Hugh
        >
        > On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:41 AM, Erik Bauer wrote:
        >

        > Hugh,
        >
        > That's not Phase III is it? I was only at The Phase once (John Cale
        > in '79), and I don't remember it looking like that. It's not The
        > Decade either. They didn't have the booths that Barney' leaning on,
        > or am I wrong, and it's the backroom of The Decade?.
        >
        > Is that Dawn Speer holding Joe's shoulders, and who is the woman in
        > the right front?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Erik

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2011
          It's definitely Phase II, July 7, 1979 (I taped much of the show, which is why I remember the date). I was there, probably just out of the picture sitting in the upper level. The Shakes, Cardboards, and Dykes played that night. I believe Tom Moran is the one best qualified to comment because he's the one responsible for bring Fripp to the Phase (as I understand it). I believe he performed at the Oasis in Bloomfield earlier in the evening. I remember him pogoing to the Dykes, and Joe sang "Robert Fripp likes to boogie at Phase III" during (I suppose it was called) "Boogie at Phase III".

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2011

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2011
              Obviously that should read "Phase III", not "Phase II". How embarrassing.

              --- In pgh-music-history@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikeyotter@...> wrote:

              > It's definitely Phase II, July 7, 1979 (I taped much of the show, which is why I remember the date). I was there, probably just out of the picture sitting in the upper level. The Shakes, Cardboards, and Dykes played that night. I believe Tom Moran is the one best qualified to comment because he's the one responsible for bring Fripp to the Phase (as I understand it). I believe he performed at the Oasis in Bloomfield earlier in the evening. I remember him pogoing to the Dykes, and Joe sang "Robert Fripp likes to boogie at Phase III" during (I suppose it was called) "Boogie at Phase III".
              >
              > --- In pgh-music-history@yahoogroups.com, "upperquark" <upperquark@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Definitely phase
              > >

              > > cool pic though
              > >

              > > love the skinny tie, I think I still have one......
              > >

              > > --- In pgh-music-history@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Esten <hughesten@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm pretty sure about Phase, 'cause I remember the conga line and
              > > > Fripp sitting a the bar.
              > > >
              > > > I think you're right about Dawn. I can't remember the woman in front.
              > > > Anyone?
              > > >
              > > > Hugh
              > > >
              > > > On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:41 AM, Erik Bauer wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hugh,
              > > >
              > > > That's not Phase III is it? I was only at The Phase once (John Cale
              > > > in '79), and I don't remember it looking like that. It's not The
              > > > Decade either. They didn't have the booths that Barney' leaning on,
              > > > or am I wrong, and it's the backroom of The Decade?.
              > > >
              > > > Is that Dawn Speer holding Joe's shoulders, and who is the woman in
              > > > the right front?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > >
              > > > Erik

            • Benny Profane
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2011

                 Mike, right on all counts. Phase III had booths along the side. Fripps performance was one of the best things I've ever seen, he delivered his 'small, mobile, intelligent' rap and produced a hefty dose frippertronics with two tape recorders. He really seemed to enjoy himself at the bar, probably cause everyone handled his presence with great aplomb, who sez punks got no class?

                --Dave