New to the group

  • equinerider@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2009
      Hello, I'm new to the area, moving down from Detroit a little over a half year ago. I'm a member of Warren Astronomical Society, Oakland Astronomical Society, and Indianapolis (just joined a few months ago). My new job has been keeping me busy but I really need to get out under some dark skies!
      I'm interested in observing with folks that stay a good portion of the night. Is Prairie Grass open to general observing from outsiders? I would be more than happy to join. Is anyone going out this weekend?

      Currently use the following : 6 inch AP Superplantary (AP 1200), 10 inch DK, 12.5 Classical Cassegrain (AP 1200). Been in the hobby since 1983.

      Always welcome to talk to astronomy friends : 248-762-2046

      Kind Regards, Jim Ehlers equinerider@...
    • John Mahony
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2009
        Hi Jim, welcome to the area.

        The camp and the observatory grounds are available most nights if you want to bring your own scope. It's a good idea to call ahead since the camp is occasionally closed for special events. The camp ranger's phone number is 765-296-2753 (that number is near the bottom of the front page of the website). He lives in the house at the camp entrance. Normally he closes the gate at night, so let him know you'll be staying late and he'll show you how to let yourself out.

        There's nothing to "join" since the observatory is part of the camp and not officially connected to an astro club. The camp is an independent non-profit youth camp. The observatory was built by members from the the Lafayette and Indy astro clubs, other local amateur astronomers, boy scouts, and anyone else who wanted to help.

        Since it sounds like you're familiar with operating a range of scopes, if you also volunteer fairly regularly to help out on public nights and/or with maintenance, it's possible to qualify as a PGO "trustee", which gets you a set of keys so you can use the observatory itself when you want.

        Our next public night is June 20. I don't know if anyone will be out there this weekend. It's not uncommon to find other amateurs out there on clear moonless weekend nights, but this weekend the moon will still be about 3/4 full, and rising only a few hours after twilight.

        -John