Venus transit

  • John Mahony
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2004
      The Venus transit of the sun will be at sunrise next Tuesday. It will be
      over about an hour after sunrise, so you need a very clear view of the
      eastern horizon to see it. At Camp Cullom, the trees will block at least
      half of the event, so Dan Albaugh has invited us to view it from his place
      north of Frankfort, where he has a very clear view of the eastern horizon.
      He has an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain scope, so it's basically a 2/3 scale version
      of the 12" scope at the observatory.

      Dan's house is on the southeast corner of the intersection of 500N and 0 E/W
      (that's the "zero-hundred" road, so it's both E and W) in Clinton County, a
      few miles due north of Frankfort. He has asked that you email him if you
      plan to be there, so he'll know how many to expect (see his message attached
      below for his email address)

      From Frankfort, go north on highway 75 until it turns left at 500N. But
      don't follow 75, instead, turn right on 500N and go a half mile to 0 E/W.

      From Lafayette, go east on 26 past the county line until you get to highway
      75. Turn right, go four miles to 500N where 75 turns left. Turn left to
      Follow 75 at this turn, but do not follow 75 when it turns right a half mile
      later. Instead, keep going straight on 500N another 1/2 mile to 0 E/W.

      In other words, take 26 east to 75. Turn right, go 4 miles. Turn left, go
      1 mile.

      I'll be there with the H-alpha filter, which we can use on Dan's scope.

      -John

      >From: "dan albaugh" <dalbaugh@...>
      >To: pg_obs@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [pg_obs] transit location
      >Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 04:14:04 -0000
      >

      >john
      >my complete address is 4931 n co rd 0 ew frankfort you can send
      >this out as a general message with an open invitation to any one who
      >would like to venture out at this time of the morning for a clear
      >veiw of the eastern horizon would just like to have everyone email
      >me so i will know how many to expect
      >thanks dan
      >dalbaugh@...

      a trip to NY
    • John Mahony
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
        You've probably heard that Venus will cross the face of the sun tomorrow (Tuesday 6/5). This is a rare event- the next time will be in the year 2112. The event starts a little after 6pm and will continue until sunset. We'll have the observatory open starting at 6, with the H-alpha filter on the 16" LX200 and a white light filter on the 7" refractor.

        -John

      • lectechser
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
          As I don't hang out with you folks often, do you mean Cumberland or Camp Collum?

          --- In pg-astro@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

          > You've probably heard that Venus will cross the face of the sun tomorrow (Tuesday 6/5). This is a rare event- the next time will be in the year 2112. The event starts a little after 6pm and will continue until sunset. We'll have the observatory open starting at 6, with the H-alpha filter on the 16" LX200 and a white light filter on the 7" refractor.
          >
          > -John

        • Edmund Harfmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
            John is referring to Camp Cullom.

            WVAS will be at the Meijer parking lot (North East corner) on route 26 just
            past I65.

            --- In pg-astro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pg-astro%40yahoogroups.com> , John
            Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

            > You've probably heard that Venus will cross the face of the sun tomorrow
            (Tuesday 6/5). This is a rare event- the next time will be in the year 2112.
            The event starts a little after 6pm and will continue until sunset. We'll
            have the observatory open starting at 6, with the H-alpha filter on the 16"
            LX200 and a white light filter on the 7" refractor.

            > -John

          • Lisa Wieland
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
              John is speaking of the Prairie Grass Observatory at Camp Cullom. The
              Wabash Valley Astronomical Society will also be holding a viewing at the
              Meijer store parking lot in Lafayette.