Shades state park

  • ikc46118
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2013
      Cross-posting this from the IAS Yahoo group in hopes someone from the WVAS will receive it and act [or not act] as appropriate. It's my understanding that the WVAS has occasionally used Shades for observing events. FYI.

      I was at Shades today [8/22] to do some hiking. The girl at the gatehouse told me that there are plans to create a new entrance to the park directly off of SR234 and move the gatehouse over there. This means people coming and going will be driving on the road where the runway used to be.

      I checked out the area and noticed nothing to suggest this would be happening anytime soon. The existing road is still [mostly] gravel and the view to the south [from the parking lot] remains unobstructed. But if this change ever gets implemented, using the park for astronomy becomes a lot more problematical.

      FYI,
      Bruce