Search for a Project and Occupation

  • Vishal Maheshwari
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13 9:03 AM
      Hi all,
      I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
      We are a family with agricultural background.
      Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
      crops and had been doing well with them.
      But now, i would like to look at so many other options
      that are available.
      But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
      research on the net..but there is plethora of
      information and nothing seems relevant enough to help
      me.

      I m looking for a non traditional crops.
      it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
      financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
      digits. we have land and a lot is available on lease.
      It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
      with irrigation available.

      Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.

      Regards,
      Vishal

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • David Adams
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13 9:45 AM
        Grow tropical and subtropical fruit and ship it to
        North America!

        I have hoped in vain for years that NAFTA would make
        red sapote, white sapote, black sapote, papaya, and
        many other fruits as commonplace in US grocery stores
        as the banana. Mango has been a success story here.
        So has the fuzzy kiwi from NZ. I can find white
        sapote once in a rare while. I wish Mexican farmers
        would focus more on shipping subtropicals up north.
        Anyone know why this has not happened? They are
        shipping mangos.

        --- Vishal Maheshwari <vishal250@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
        > We are a family with agricultural background.
        > Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
        > crops and had been doing well with them.
        > But now, i would like to look at so many other
        > options
        > that are available.
        > But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
        > research on the net..but there is plethora of
        > information and nothing seems relevant enough to
        > help
        > me.
        >
        > I m looking for a non traditional crops.
        > it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
        > financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
        > digits. we have land and a lot is available on
        > lease.
        > It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
        > with irrigation available.
        >
        > Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Vishal

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Richard Morris
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13 3:34 PM
          Dear Vishal,
          > I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
          > We are a family with agricultural background.
          > Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
          > crops and had been doing well with them.
          > But now, i would like to look at so many other options
          > that are available.
          > But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
          > research on the net..but there is plethora of
          > information and nothing seems relevant enough to help
          > me.
          >
          > I m looking for a non traditional crops.
          > it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
          > financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
          > digits. we have land and a lot is available on lease.
          > It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
          > with irrigation available.
          >
          > Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.

          We had an interesting message the other day from the Caribbean
          office of the Foreign Office of the british
          gov. A chap there is organizing a conference called
          "Organic diversification" aiming to link producers in the
          West Indies with niche markets in the organic sector in the UK.
          The person organizing it was called Nigel Dickinson
          and can be reached on +44 207 270 2608/2472

          there is certainly a growing market for unusual plant out there
          its just a matter of finding it.

          Good luck

          Rich

          --
          Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
          Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19 3:37 AM
            I have been asked by an archaeologist what might have been grown on a fairly
            large scale, in a large pit or trench that could be regularly flooded.
            Any ideas please?
            Thanks for your help

            Ces Beamish
            Leicester
          • orftuk
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22 2:23 AM
              Hi Ces

              The first thing that comes to mind is traditional Celery - a.k.a.
              Trench Celery - which requires plenty of water and is usually grown
              in trenches for this purpose, and so that the stems may be blanched
              by filling in the trench.

              The problem is that this vegetable was introduced to the UK about 300
              [?] years ago - how old is the trench/pit?

              It could be used as standard technique for growing any water
              demanding plant that needed occassional flooding, e.g. Watercress.
              Many native wetland plants have useful yields - Reedmace -[Typha] is
              very multi-functional, so is Common Reed - [Phragmites].

              More information on the age of the pit, its actual size, soil type,
              location etc might make it easier to whittle it down to the most
              likely species.

              Cheers Phil.