Interactive European Network for Industrial Crops and their Applications

  • Webweaver
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005
      Hi All,
      I just came across the Interactive European Network for Industrial
      Crops and their Applications http://www.ienica.net/
      which is a European wide network promoting the commercial uptake of non
      food crops.

      Their report
      http://www.ienica.net/reports/ienicafinalsummaryreport2000-2005.pdf
      is very interesting as it reviews the commercial growing of non food
      crops in the EU over the past five years.
      The report mentions many different plants and plant uses
      from plant derived chain saw oil to printing inks and cleaning solvents.

      In particular the EU bio-diesel production was interesting in 2003
      in tonnes produced the countries are:
      Germany 715,000, France 357,000, Italy 273,000, Austria 43,000
      with the UK producing a lowly 9,000 tonnes.

      From reading the report it seems like one of the original phrases of
      PFAF: plants can supply all our needs, is in fact true!

      Rich
      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Web: http://www.pfaf.org/