RE: [pfaf] Digest Number 515

  • Stephe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      From: pfaf@yahoogroups.com [mailto:pfaf@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: 23. november 2005 21:57
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [pfaf] Digest Number 515

      There are 4 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re: peace garden
      From: Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>
      2. peace garden
      From: "martin" <martinwnaylor@...>
      3. Re: peace garden
      From: nieema <nieema0@...>
      4. From: "Kristina Patmore" Re: peace garden
      From: <icculus2000@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:11:10 +0100
      From: Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: peace garden

      >Also, I'm working on a bed called 'Signatures & Sympathies', this
      >will hopefully be an interactive display of plants used in medicine
      >according to their visible signatures or by sympathetic/imitative
      >magic. Strangely, I've hit a nearly complete blank where signature
      >plants are concerned and would love to hear suggestions. It seems
      >that most internet sources dwell on the same four examples from the
      >Doctrine of Signatures but I need far more than that. I would
      >prefer plants which display their signatures as they are grown eg
      >Lungworts blotches look like lung disease; the tiny translucent
      >holes in Hypericum (st johns wort) leaves make it useful for stab
      >wounds etc. Plants which are used according to their roots are not
      >so useful because the roots cant be seen but still interesting to
      >hear about.
      >Blue Skies
      >Kris

      Was this also ment from Wales only ?,
      or anywhere,
      -- nearly every plant have some signature - lore put to it, Primula veris ,
      st Johns keys, Alchemilla vulgaris coll, lady Marys - rain mantle,
      Juniperus communis, the holy crucifix at top of berries, Allium sativum,
      Garlic - the smell of the devil.

      by the way *did you know Garlic really is named after me - personally* ! My
      name is Geir The name garlic comes from old old norse Geirr Lauk
      (Geirr-leek) -
      lauk / leek an onion.
      meaning Geirr is the sharp point of a lance or an arrow, like the
      garlic looks as it comes up from earth and streching,
      and the sharp biting taste and smell....

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:48:20 -0000
      From: "martin" <martinwnaylor@...>
      Subject: peace garden

      Hi
      have you considered putting a flower clock in , certain flowers open at
      certain times of the day, you could explain it anyway you like,i did
      have a copy of plant's that open on the hour but it doesn't want to be
      found
      martin

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:27:40 -0800 (PST)
      From: nieema <nieema0@...>
      Subject: Re: peace garden

      Greetings All

      Martin thank you for looking. Can you please tell the
      book that I personally would love it to be found. I
      am liking the idea of a clock in my garden.

      I just love this group!!!

      yours in good health

      nieema
      --- martin <martinwnaylor@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      > have you considered putting a flower clock in ,
      > certain flowers open at
      > certain times of the day, you could explain it
      > anyway you like,i did
      > have a copy of plant's that open on the hour but it
      > doesn't want to be
      > found
      > martin

      PPD Push the Positive Daily!
      I hope this message finds you and yours in the
      best of Health and Spirit.

      Our Health is Our Responsibility
      http://a-healing-village.com
      Have a look, see some of the new information.

      nieema

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:50:23 -0800 (PST)
      From: <icculus2000@...>
      Subject: From: "Kristina Patmore" Re: peace garden

      Hi Kris,

      I'm Steve. I typed
      Welsh - cultural significance of plants - Wales
      Into Google.com and got the following exerpt.

      "The most popular New Year's custom was one that was carried out in all
      parts of Wales: the Calennig (small gift). Very early on the morning of
      January 1st, groups of young boys would visit all the houses in the village
      carrying an evergreen twig and a cup of cold water drawn from the local
      well. The boys would then use the twigs to sprinkle the faces of everyone
      they met. In return, they would receive the Calennig, usually in the form of
      copper coins. Even the doorways of some houses (when the occupants were
      still asleep or away) were sprinkled, and all the while a short verse was
      sung or chanted that celebrated the letting in of the New Year. The custom
      continued from dawn until noon, (after which it was considered very unlucky
      indeed), and in certain areas the boy carried apples or oranges into which
      sprigs of holly or corn were inserted. These offerings later became very
      fancy, with raisins, hazel nuts, or colored ribbons all helping to decorate
      the fruit. The custom, in various forms, survived in some areas well after
      World War II, at least the chanting of a verse or two in exchange for small
      coins.

      Twelfth Night (the evening of Jan. 5th)
      Twelfth Night was celebrated as the end of Christmastide. The decorations,
      including holly and mistletoe, were taken down, the burned out Yule Log was
      removed from the fireplace, and its ashes stored temporarily. These were
      then buried along with the seeds planted in the ensuing spring to ensure a
      good harvest."

      Also, check out Lake Vyrnwy. It's a nature preserve in the Berwyn
      Mountains - it has the largest tract of heather moorland in Wales,
      apparently.. Heather is another good one.

      Mead (honey wine) is an underlying theme in many european countries.
      Following that, a few plants for bees to harvest from and pollinate would
      fit right in.

      As far as signature plants go, Oaks remind me of Bill Mollison's general
      model; palm trees are pretty characteristic, as well.. Is that what you
      meant?

      Hope everything goes well.

      Peace,

      Steve.

      Kris wrote:

      For my part, if anyone can suggest plants which have significance in
      Wales in terms of their meanings etc I would love to know.

      Also, I'm working on a bed called 'Signatures & Sympathies', where
      signature
      plants are concerned and would love to hear suggestions.

      Obviously, we need a way of farming that attaches people to the land much
      more intimately, carefully, and democratically than the industrial system
      has been able to do, and we can neither establish good farming nor preserve
      it without successful communities.

      ~Wendell Berry (from the essay "Does Community Have a Value" - 1986)

      [This message contained attachments]