peace garden

  • cutoutcows
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 19, 2005
      Hello,
      I am designing a peace garden bed for a community garden on a warm,
      sunny, temperate site.

      I was wondering if anyone would like to share any plants that conjure
      up thoughts/feelings of peace for them, by association, experience,
      fragrance, visually, anything would really be appreaciated.

      I like the idea of people eating the 'produce of peace' too, so far I
      have olives, and rosemary for rememberance...

      peace
      ana
    • ewt
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 19, 2005
        Lavendar.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 19, 2005
          Roses of course
          Rosa helenae and R multiflora the climbers,
          and bamboos - Fargesia nititida and F. murielae,
          and grapes, which varieties I dont`know for your area, but preferably
          some with "edible" leaves,
          - mock orange, Philadelphus different kinds,
          Rhododendron hodgsonii, and R. luteum
          Magnolia kobus
          Davidia involucrata
          some different Viburnum - esp V. carlesii
          and if you can grow olives,
          definitely also Myrtus spp. esp M luma / apiculata

          and.......
          Geir Flatabø

          cutoutcows skrev:

          >Hello,
          >I am designing a peace garden bed for a community garden on a warm,
          >sunny, temperate site.
          >
          >I was wondering if anyone would like to share any plants that conjure
          >up thoughts/feelings of peace for them, by association, experience,
          >fragrance, visually, anything would really be appreaciated.
          >
          >I like the idea of people eating the 'produce of peace' too, so far I
          >have olives, and rosemary for rememberance...
          >
          >peace
          >ana
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Griselda
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 19, 2005
            Re: [pfaf] peace garden What a wonderful idea. I personally love the sweet fragrant herbs, marjoram, basil, thyme, the mints. For me, they are associated with the peaceful industry of bees, children playing peacefully in a warm quiet garden, and cooking done with patience and love.
            I remember as a child hiding in the black-currant bushes during the summer, and the flowering currants in the spring. I loved the sweet small of lemon balm, so distinct and fragrant.
            I loved hollyhocks too, for their open honest spires of subtle colours, and the wonderful smell of old-time marigolds.
            There is something about the timelessness of a garden for young children. In fact my family life was rather distraught, but through a miracle of chance we children had access to one or two old-fashioned gardens where these things grew, and we spent quiet happy hours there, playing, chatting, being. We had no desires, no ambitions, no arguments. We just ‘were’ among these old-fashioned plants.
            I realise, reading this, how important the smells were...we had no-one to teach us about the plants, as none of the grown-ups really knew or cared, but we could experience these wonderful smells for ourselves. Each one was so distinct and memorable. All we had to do was take a leaf, and crush it gently in our little fingers.
            I find I am re-living my memories because of your request. Thank you.
            Griselda

            Hello,
            I am designing a peace garden bed for a community garden on a warm,
            sunny, temperate site.

            I was wondering if anyone would like to share any plants that conjure
            up thoughts/feelings of peace for them, by association, experience,
            fragrance, visually, anything would really be appreaciated.

            I like the idea of people eating the 'produce of peace' too, so far I
            have olives, and rosemary for rememberance...

            peace
            ana

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • icculus2000
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 21, 2005
              Hi Ana,

              (I'm Steve)

              Certainly medicinal herbs bring peace to mind for me..

              Specifically, Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum) is planted not only for
              all the medicinal and culinary properties that basils possess, but
              also the scent of this basil is really wonderful - fresh and vibrant.

              May your garden thrive,

              Namaste,

              Steve.

              "cutoutcows" <cutoutcows@y...> wrote:
              Hello,
              I am designing a peace garden ...
            • Kristina Patmore
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 22, 2005
                Hi,

                I recently read that in symbolic painting, probably of the
                renaissance, Columbine (Aquilegia sp.) was used to represent certain
                aspects of peace because the flower resembles a dove in some way (I
                struggle to see it unless it should be several doves). Aquilegia
                vulgaris 'Nivea' is a nice pure white one and 'Columba' means dove
                in Greek I think. White heather is also supposed to be very lucky
                although the list of lucky plants is endless. Basil as suggested is
                a very good one since it has been a symbol of love across Europe for
                over 2000 years. Poplar (Populus tremula)is a tree that I would
                personally recommend since the sound of its continuously rustling
                leaves is very soothing, however, if you are superstitious it is
                best avoided since its catkins are sometimes considered a bad omen
                and referred to as 'Devils Fingers'.

                I'm currently working on a bed of plants associated with
                superstition & symbolism. If I come across anything interesting
                I'll forward it.

                For my part, if anyone can suggest plants which have significance in
                Wales in terms of their meanings etc I would love to know. I'm
                trying to compile plants with significance to local people who dont
                often get their beliefs and knowledge into books so if theres anyone
                Welsh out there or with Welsh connections who can tell a story or
                two about the cultural significance of plants, I would love to hear
                from you.

                Also, I'm working on a bed called 'Signatures & Sympathies', this
                will hopefully be an interactive display of plants used in medicine
                according to their visible signatures or by sympathetic/imitative
                magic. Strangely, I've hit a nearly complete blank where signature
                plants are concerned and would love to hear suggestions. It seems
                that most internet sources dwell on the same four examples from the
                Doctrine of Signatures but I need far more than that. I would
                prefer plants which display their signatures as they are grown eg
                Lungworts blotches look like lung disease; the tiny translucent
                holes in Hypericum (st johns wort) leaves make it useful for stab
                wounds etc. Plants which are used according to their roots are not
                so useful because the roots cant be seen but still interesting to
                hear about.

                I look forward to any suggestions

                Thank you very much

                Blue Skies

                Kris

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 22, 2005
                  Re: [pfaf] Re: peace garden Hallo again,
                  You might also like to look at Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants, by Eliot Cowan. It is for sale on Amazon.com
                  You might find a second hand copy somewhere. It is quite interesting in this area.
                  Griselda

                  Garden home dallas <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Garden+home+dallas&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=Gfs2l9lGnzs92v57WY3QlA> Organic gardening <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=6nAdTleevpVOCvDXprpYBg> Home and garden accessory <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Home+and+garden+accessory&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=RlUUbnbj5nF7nDD7R>
                  Organic gardening magazine <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening+magazine&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=YXYbv93Hdlbnu1ms> Organic gardening supply <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening+supply&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=0WHfufxU8GMXgoFrRl> Organic vegetable gardening <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+vegetable+gardening&w1=Garden+home+dallas&w2=Organic+gardening&w3=Home+and+garden+accessory&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=173&.sig=eZA1oyXFUi4Xi-C>

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 22, 2005
                    >Also, I'm working on a bed called 'Signatures & Sympathies', this
                    >will hopefully be an interactive display of plants used in medicine
                    >according to their visible signatures or by sympathetic/imitative
                    >magic. Strangely, I've hit a nearly complete blank where signature
                    >plants are concerned and would love to hear suggestions. It seems
                    >that most internet sources dwell on the same four examples from the
                    >Doctrine of Signatures but I need far more than that. I would
                    >prefer plants which display their signatures as they are grown eg
                    >Lungworts blotches look like lung disease; the tiny translucent
                    >holes in Hypericum (st johns wort) leaves make it useful for stab
                    >wounds etc. Plants which are used according to their roots are not
                    >so useful because the roots cant be seen but still interesting to
                    >hear about.
                    >Blue Skies
                    >Kris

                    Was this also ment from Wales only ?,
                    or anywhere,
                    -- nearly every plant have some signature - lore put to it,
                    Primula veris , st Johns keys,
                    Alchemilla vulgaris coll, lady Marys - rain mantle,
                    Juniperus communis, the holy crucifix at top of berries,
                    Allium sativum, Garlic - the smell of the devil.

                    by the way *did you know Garlic really is named after me - personally* !
                    My name is Geir
                    The name garlic comes from old old norse Geirr Lauk (Geirr-leek) -
                    lauk / leek an onion.
                    meaning Geirr is the sharp point of a lance or an arrow, like the
                    garlic looks as it comes up from earth and streching,
                    and the sharp biting taste and smell....

                    Geir Flatabø
                  • martin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 22, 2005
                      Hi
                      have you considered putting a flower clock in , certain flowers open at
                      certain times of the day, you could explain it anyway you like,i did
                      have a copy of plant's that open on the hour but it doesn't want to be
                      found
                      martin
                    • nieema
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 22, 2005
                        Greetings All

                        Martin thank you for looking. Can you please tell the
                        book that I personally would love it to be found. I
                        am liking the idea of a clock in my garden.

                        I just love this group!!!

                        yours in good health

                        nieema
                        --- martin <martinwnaylor@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        > have you considered putting a flower clock in ,
                        > certain flowers open at
                        > certain times of the day, you could explain it
                        > anyway you like,i did
                        > have a copy of plant's that open on the hour but it
                        > doesn't want to be
                        > found
                        > martin

                        PPD Push the Positive Daily!
                        I hope this message finds you and yours in the
                        best of Health and Spirit.

                        Our Health is Our Responsibility
                        http://a-healing-village.com
                        Have a look, see some of the new information.

                        nieema
                      • Dee Harris

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 22, 2005
                            Chamomile, especially German chamomile, has a beautiful and peaceful looking flower that is it's signature for what it does. If you plan to plant any mints, I would suggest that you plant them in a pot first before putting them in the ground. They'll take over if you aren't careful and that's why the pot in the ground. It helps to keep them in check.
                            Wolf

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 29, 2005
                              Hello and thank you! for your helpful ideas and suggestions for
                              the `peace garden', many of them were included in the design and I
                              would have included them all had there not been limited room (so
                              many plants so little room, a common complaint of mine).

                              Over the last few days I have been lost in an inspired haze of
                              planning, drawing, and thinking about these and many other plants.

                              The peace bed was part of a permaculture design plan which was a
                              component in my course, today was our last day and we show cased the
                              plans to the community group. They were delighted with all the
                              designs (4 in total) and may or may not use mine.

                              The community where the garden is situated is in an area with a lot
                              of youth suicide problems and the facilitator said several
                              young 'troubled' women have been coming in and gardening which has
                              been helping improve their self esteem, and providing them with a
                              safe space. I could really see these women benefiting from some
                              quiet time in the sweetly fragranced peace garden sanctuary you have
                              helped design so I really hope it comes to fruition.

                              In my recent pacifist explorations I have also joined 'food not
                              bombs' and I hope to distribute any spare seedlings I have around so
                              that people can grow their own food for peace:-)

                              If we don't plant the seeds of peace how will it grow?
                              Thanks again for watering me.

                              love and peace
                              ana