Re: hi! how about extracting oils from sumac?

  • deb
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
      I usually strain through a couple of layers of good cheesecloth, but the rodents got to
      my stash, and I didn't notice until I pulled it out for use. Didn't have time to go to
      town, so grabbed a coffee filter. Worked great. I strain all juices and such, mostly out
      of habit, though. I, too, had heard it was necessary to strain any hair out, but aside
      from the ickypoo factor of drinking "hairy lemonade", don't know why.

      The berries only get drier, especially if you have been having a dry spell as we have.
      no worries about mold or spoilage, especially. It might require more bulk to get
      results. Myself, if I were to get to them too late and find very dry, I wuld just seed
      them and use them for the dressings and "pulp" utilization, and give planting the
      seeds out a try. After all, Mom Nature has already done the drying for you, you're a
      step ahead. {;) However, remember that any dried fruit, from Juniper to raisin to date,
      will reconstitute right up if soaked in water, and since that is what you are doing
      when making the sumacade, I don't see why not. Heck, give 'er a shot with a small
      batch, and please let us know how it turns out!

      Matter of fact, am going out to get some Butterfly Milkweed this weekend, and in
      "spotting" the plants I had marked earlier for propagation, found a whole new stand
      of sumac, both adult and young plants, and plenty of 'em. Will be gathering the older,
      drier seed, and will go ahead and give the "dry sumacade" a try myself. Plus, will be
      able to gather some more good stems for crafts- Love The Fall!!

      Can sure understand making the candle anyway- sometimes, one just *has* to give a
      thing the old college try! <G> deb

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "loveragehop" <runningwithsteff@h...> wrote:

      > hey deb, thanks alot for all the info!
      >
      > im still going to give making the candle a shot but at least now i
      > know what im getting into.
      >
      > i also read your posts about its edible uses and really want to try. i
      > also heard somewhere that you gotta strain the hairs from the
      > lemonade. is that true? and is it too late in the year for using
      > them? how do you know if the berries are still ok. (they always seem
      > the same just dryer) i live in MAss, near ALOT of sumac so yeah... it
      > should be sweet
      >
      > aright thanks again
      > lnr

    • deb
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
        I'm a bit confused by your question of "clone v. pollinated". Are you speaking of plants
        propagated by cutting, rootings, or such? As in "not from seed"? Those are my usual
        ways of propagating sumac, which is, essentially, cloning. The cutting will be the same
        gender as the parent plant. Not a problem! The berries, no matter the genesis of the
        plant- are produced via pollination. Not a wit of difference in the berries unless the
        parent plants or the current plants have another issue not related- such as being in less
        than optimum climate, being of whimpy constitution, or such. No worries. <G>

        You don't have to do a thing but rinse off in a bit of cool or cold water if you are making
        sumacade, just to get the dust off. I never harvest edibles within 100 yards of any roads,
        RR tracks, or other such things, to avoid exhaust and other yukoid toxins. I also like to
        go deep into the prairie, on the far side of hedgerows or woods, or stick on the south
        side of roads, no matter how far away, since during growing season here the prevalent
        winds are from the south.

        If you suspect pesticide or other icky chemicals being used in proximity to your harvest,
        you can soak in a solution of one teaspoon bleach to a gallon of water for about 10
        minutes, rinse, then use. Alternately, a peroxide solution or some sal suds. However,
        since you want all the soaking to be for production of good usable solution, I'd opt for
        simply getting the stuff from a "clean" area in the first place.

        If you are using the berries for the pulp, then yes, you want to seed them. Simply
        rubbing them in a strainer will do the trick. For me, it's easier done when the berries are
        already dried, as opposed to full moisture content. HTH! deb

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
          deb skrev:

          >Matter of fact, am going out to get some Butterfly Milkweed this weekend, and in
          >"spotting" the plants I had marked earlier for propagation,

          And for what do you use / or get the Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias
          syriaca or A. tuberosa) ??

          > will go ahead and give the "dry sumacade" a try myself. deb

          And what was the "dry sumacade" ??

          Geir Flatabø

        • deb
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 21, 2005
            I propagate/"wildgarden" many plants that are endangered or at risk,
            Butterfly Milkweed is one of them. I also wildgarden Echincacea, black
            and blue cohosh, ginseng... the "Herb of the Hour" and other plants
            that are being put at risk due to overharvesting, loss ob habitat,
            pollution, etc.

            Although it is used medicinally, it is at risk in this area (south
            central Iowa). There are other plants that fulfill the same medicinal
            niches, that are far more plentiful. For that reason, I only propagate
            to help restore the wild populations, not to harvest for use.

            The "dry sumacade" in is reference to the post about having berries
            that were dry on the bush- and she was questioning whether they could
            be used. Unfortunately, we had poachers to handle, and I ended up
            having my wildcraft/forage time cut quite short while trying to get
            them handled and arrested. deb